Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the collective opinion as to the value of a blued 4-inch barreled Python these days, say in NRA VG-Exc condition? I've been looking for a good 6-inch model but recently passed on a nice 4-inch model for $500. At the time I was focused in on looking for a 6-incher, but I may have made a mistake on not getting the 4-inch one for $500. I'm thinking in hindsight that it may have been a steal. Whaddya think?

I'm also thinking a 6-inch Python in VG-Exc condition should cost about $700? That sound about right?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
That's a fuzzy description of both guns.
It's tough to do with-out seeing the guns.
It's also tough to find any Python in decent shape for $500.
It also is important to note the grips on the Python. Are they Early original Colt wood grips or are they rubber replacements. The original wood Python grips in Mint condition tend to run between $100-$200 depending on what version you have. Rubber tend to be $10-$20. That can add or subtract from value. Are they Royal Blue guns or later Colt Blue. Some of the early minty Blues are going to bring you more money just based on the beauty of the Blue job, or should I say polish job under the Blue. VG-Exc is a little vague. Can you help us out a bit on the descriptions ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
88 Posts
sorry but you let a super buy get away go to gunbroker.com and see the prices.

[This message has been edited by bad shot (edited 01-31-2005).]

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Please remember to go only to the PAST or CLOSED auctions to compare prices when using GUNBROKER or AUCTION ARMS. Some of the Pythons on the Current auction have been posted and Re-posted for months with-out selling due to the HIGH inflated prices. If you use the SOLD auctions, just check to make sure that the gun met reserve when it closed and you can then get a REAL estimate of Value.
Hope that helps, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think you missed a good buy on the 4-inch. I have a 6-inch with Pachmyr grips that is in the condition that you want. Back when I shot it, the rubber grips helped me shoot better. Probably still have the original grips around if I dig for them. Only mark on the gun is a light trace on the cyclinder.

I think the prices that folks are paying for Python grips are outrageous these days. It amazes me. Original target grips for the Diamnondback are also very pricey these days.

Years ago, I used to buy every Diamondback grip that I saw at shows that were under $20. Have no idea how many I have buried. At my willing price, I didn't always come home with a new pair.

One collector that I periodically communicate with told me he used to do the same thing at shows for years. He got tired of doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts