Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experts and gurus please advise on this listing for a 4” nickel Python.

Is there anyway to tell if it’s the original finish? I emailed the seller and he was unsure because he has only owned the gun for the last several years and didn’t know the previous history. Opening bid is approx. $2200. Is that considered fair?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think it's a little high, i would keep looking there are better deals out there if you look hard enough (even on gunbroker)
see where these go no reserve and they look similar (I honestly don't think that one will sell at that price) (but I usually am wrong) :)

Colt Python 4 Inch Bright Nickel 99% $.01 NR : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

COLT PYTHON 4 inch NICKEL MINTY! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

just a note to remember if you want original grips for the first one they will cost $200.00 + for a decent pair

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Colt Python 4 Inch Bright Nickel 99% $.01 NR : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

COLT PYTHON 4 inch NICKEL MINTY! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

just a note to remember if you want original grips for the first one they will cost $200.00 + for a decent pair
Like they say, buy the gun and not the package. When evaluating a package, add or subtract value for what you are looking at.

Good catch on the aftermarket grips. Laminates are definitely a clue to aftermarket grips.

Also, a "factory blue box" does not mean original and labeled. In this case, the gun is pictured with an after market AUTO box, not a revolver box.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Sorry. Just learning to use the internet machine!

Listing link: Colt Python nickel 4" inch barrel : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

I have read earlier posts that mention copper tint showing through, gaps and waves....I guess I just dont have the eye for it yet.
In regards to the gun you originally questioned. I believe it is refinished. You can see pitting underneath the new nickel finish.

When it comes to spotting refinished guns, Dfariswheel says it best, "you have to look at whats underneath the finish". Now it won't always be as easy as with this one.

·
Premium Member
6,552 Posts
I vote that the gun is original with some light usage wear. Look the back of the grip frame and it appears the nickel is dull, common with carry guns as is the wear on the finish of the wood stocks. It appears the VP stamp is still sharp, Some of the cloudiness with the nickel can get bright again with a careful application of flitz. $2200 may be slightly high for a selling price as when nickel guns show anything but the slightest wear the price starts to fall fast. Myself personally I prefer guns in this condition because I am going to shoot them. But buying and selling prices for pythons are all over the map these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.