Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1968 yob

Loaded both 158gr SWC and 148gr DEWC's with 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 Win231 in .357 cases.

In both weight bullets 4.5gr shot the most accurately at 25yds from a semi-rest.

148gr w/4.5 averaged 864pfs

Next step it to shoot 50yd silhouettes with it.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
First of all, your a good shot. Second is that you make use of a range of load data and find the "sweet spot" for your gun and bullet. I have found that only minor or none at all difference in accuracy with double ended wadcutters and hollow base wadcutters in my guns, which is good because I am casting using a 6 cavity mold and hollow base are really slow to cast one at a time. Also solid base wadcutters are not limited to mid-range loads. The 158 SWC is what we are pushing at about 1100 FPS for our 100 yard shooting at a 16" metal plate. I am currently using Unique but will be switching to 231 on my next batch. We also find that we really cannot tell any difference using 38 spec. cases and .357 cases accuracy wise but one has to carefully clean the chambers well after shooting a bunch of 38 ammo and then switching to .357 cartridges.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, your a good shot. Second is that you make use of a range of load data and find the "sweet spot" for your gun and bullet. I have found that only minor or none at all difference in accuracy with double ended wadcutters and hollow base wadcutters in my guns, which is good because I am casting using a 6 cavity mold and hollow base are really slow to cast one at a time. Also solid base wadcutters are not limited to mid-range loads. The 158 SWC is what we are pushing at about 1100 FPS for our 100 yard shooting at a 16" metal plate. I am currently using Unique but will be switching to 231 on my next batch. We also find that we really cannot tell any difference using 38 spec. cases and .357 cases accuracy wise but one has to carefully clean the chambers well after shooting a bunch of 38 ammo and then switching to .357 cartridges.
That's good information, thanks.

I've found the same regarding .38 and .357 cases: no difference in accuracy, but much easier to keep clean.

For 50yd silhouettes, with the Python I'm not good enough yet for competition in the iron sight class.

For now, my custom 629 has that job sewed up. (But I DO like the Python's rear sight. It's narrow enough for the front blade to completely fill the slot.)

(rail allows it to be shot in both irons and optics classes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts