Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Colt Python 4" Royal Blue, vintage 1961
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster and now a proud owner of a Python.
As a Californian we all know how difficult it is to own a vintage Python. Sure we can readily buy a 2020 stainless version, but to me those are all PINOs (Python In Name Only), not the real thing. For those we owns a 2020 version might be offended, but those are just my own opinion.

Anyway, I finally got my hands on a circa 1961 4" Royal Blue in mint condition. The gun has been used but for a 60 year old gun, it is still too nice to be a shooter. The signature classic Python action is not a hype. Unless one loses all sensory feel, just the mere action of cocking the trigger is enough to know the difference between a classic Python and the new versions. I know the value of Pythons, especially earlier versions, is just exponentially increasing in price, and nobody in their right mind will shoot it. Anyway, I haven't shot it yet. My question is whether I should use it as a shooter considering its value. Can someone share some thoughts on its value ? It is a circa 1961, 4" RB with serial number of "158xx". Thanks.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gorgeous, congratulations on the purchase. I wish the checkering on the stocks of my 1964 was as crisp. On the other hand, since mine used to be a duty weapon, I love the character of it. Let us know how it shoots after you get it to the range

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from mid-Michigan! The Python looks great but there is a strange reflection on the cylinder…. It has horizonal lines that look too straight to be scratches? The grips don’t appear in the picture to have an “original” finish and look “off”…. Is it the picture or do you know if they are original to the Python? Being an early Python, it certainly is valuable. Only you can decide if you should enjoy the “full“ experience of Python ownership …

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would not fire it if it were mine. Regardless of condition it’s a semi early serial #.
I would fire it if were manufactured in the 70’s or 80’s.

About 6 months ago I realized that I do not own a single blue python. The more I actually look at and focus on them I’ve concluded that I like them more than nickel and stainless. Yours looks really good.

And welcome from St. Louis, Missouri. Certainly not California but it gets better the further you are from the Arch.

You’ll like it here. The members are great and very helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the Forum from mid-Michigan! The Python looks great but there is a strange reflection on the cylinder…. It has horizonal lines that look too straight to be scratches? The grips don’t appear in the picture to have an “original” finish and look “off”…. Is it the picture or do you know if they are original to the Python? Being an early Python, it certainly is valuable. Only you can decide if you should enjoy the “full“ experience of Python ownership …
First time poster and now a proud owner of a Python.
As a Californian we all know how difficult it is to own a vintage Python. Sure we can readily buy a 2020 stainless version, but to me those are all PINOs (Python In Name Only), not the real thing. For those we owns a 2020 version might be offended, but those are just my own opinion.

Anyway, I finally got my hands on a circa 1961 4" Royal Blue in mint condition. The gun has been used but for a 60 year old gun, it is still too nice to be a shooter. The signature classic Python action is not a hype. Unless one loses all sensory feel, just the mere action of cocking the trigger is enough to know the difference between a classic Python and the new versions. I know the value of Pythons, especially earlier versions, is just exponentially increasing in price, and nobody in their right mind will shoot it. Anyway, I haven't shot it yet. My question is whether I should use it as a shooter considering its value. Can someone share some thoughts on its value ? It is a circa 1961, 4" RB with serial number of "158xx". Thanks. View attachment 750898 View attachment 750898
Gorgeous, congratulations on the purchase. I wish the checkering on the stocks of my 1964 was as crisp. On the other hand, since mine used to be a duty weapon, I love the character of it. Let us know how it shoots after you get it to the range

The reflections are just starburst flares from a light I use to take the pictures. Yes, the stock grip seems too good for a 60 year old gun. On close examination there is a bit of holster wear on the end of the barrel as well as on the cylinder. But I figured a 60 year old gun showing some wear is inevitable unless one keeps it in its original box and locked within safes. Still even for a vintage gun, the RB is distinctive Colt and wiping it with a microfiber cloth is all it takes to get the glossy shine.....like a prized concours vintage car.

Thank you all for the compliments.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The reflections are just starburst flares from a light I use to take the pictures. Yes, the stock grip seems too good for a 60 year old gun. On close examination there is a bit of holster wear on the end of the barrel as well as on the cylinder. But I figured a 60 year old gun showing some wear is inevitable unless one keeps it in its original box and locked within safes. Still even for a vintage gun, the RB is distinctive Colt and wiping it with a microfiber cloth is all it takes to get the glossy shine.....like a prized concours vintage car.

Thank you all for the compliments.
bluing wear at the muzzle? Good! now you can go shoot it without worry, it's not one of those pristine immaculate guns the collectors like......like marrying Sophia Vargera and sleeping in separate bedrooms..😊
Mine has a bit more wear than that, but that's ok. It's still purty enough for me . had a couple nickel Diamondbacks I wouldn't shoot and regret it now. have much big fun!
.....if you can find ammo......

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on a fine acquisition. Coincidentally, I also just picked up a very nice 1961 4".

View attachment 751162 View attachment 751163
I too just picked up a 61 a few weeks back, was shot by somebody at some point but not much. Previous owner was a collector and never shot it. I too have been wrestling with my mind on whether I should shoot it occasionally or just buy a 2020 or lesser condition vintage as a shooter

·
Registered
94 Posts
View attachment 751298

I too just picked up a 61 a few weeks back, was shot by somebody at some point but not much. Previous owner was a collector and never shot it. I too have been wrestling with my mind on whether I should shoot it occasionally or just buy a 2020 or lesser condition vintage as a shooter
Sweeet! Definitely used little and well cared for. It won’t hurt anything to exercise her one and awhile. That said, I highly recommend getting a current model for carry and regular use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweeet! Definitely used little and well cared for. It won’t hurt anything to exercise her one and awhile. That said, I highly recommend getting a current model for carry and regular use.
I'm on the same page. Owning a nice Python and not using it is like preserving the virginity of a pretty girlfriend for the next guy to come along to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had a flawless 4” made in 68 that I couldn’t bring myself to shoot and finally sold at triple what I had paid after 6 yrs. if I were to do it again,I’d shoot it,but with jacketed bullets only.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a flawless 4” made in 68 that I couldn’t bring myself to shoot and finally sold at triple what I had paid after 6 yrs. if I were to do it again,I’d shoot it,but with jacketed bullets only.
why jacketed bullets only? Seems that would put more wear on it than soft lead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts