Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4\" Trooper 22 Cal.

Hi Guys: A friend wants to sell me his Trooper Mark III Serial# Y159XX with a 4 inch barrel. It is blued near perfect, no box and papers. See many 6" barrels on the net, but no 4". Finish is pretty bright blue.

What is it worth, and what would be a price to pay him that is fair to both of us?

Thanks much for your help. Robba

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: 4\" Trooper 22 Cal.

How much does he want for the gun? Maybe that's the price that is fair to both of you. If he doesn't know what to ask, tell him to throw a figure at you. If it is reasonable you'll know it.

No one can give you an accurate appraisal over the internet based on a spotty and vague description. At best you can get a range. But even then it can vary wide for factors such as geography, perceived condition, etc.

If you are thinking that a 4" Trooper MKIII is something special just because you haven't encountered too many, guess again. I personally would pay more for a 4" 22 Mag than I would a 4" 357.

Just so you know I'm not trying to be hard on you my SWAG is between $300 and $500.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 05-23-2005).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is not a 357 or a 22 Mag. it is a 22 Cal. 4" barrel Trooper Mark III. My question was is the 4" Trooper Mark III 22 cal. in a general sense rarer than a 6" or not. I do not see one on Guns America. We all have our favorites. Mine is a factory high polished SS 45 Anaconda. I don't want to sell it, and I do know what its worth. I want to treat my friend fairly, and do not yet have an answer. Robba

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Sometimes you have to find your own answers and take a chance. For me, I have seen quite a few Blue 4"-22 Mark III Revolvers over the years. It would be worth about $400 to me if it is in 98%+ condition.

[This message has been edited by 22-rimfire (edited 05-23-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts

Let me try this again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robba:
This is not a 357 or a 22 Mag. it is a 22 Cal. 4" barrel Trooper Mark III.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You did not specify which 22 cal you were referring to. 22 LR and 22 Mag are still both considered 22 caliber. The 22 LR is even more common than the 22 mag. I assumed you knew this already.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robba:
My question was is the 4" Trooper Mark III 22 cal. in a general sense rarer than a 6" or not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
- A blued 4" Trooper MKIII is not in a general sense rarer than a 6". Meaning it is nothing special.
-A blued 4" Trooper MKIII in 357 is nothing special.
-A blued 4" Trooper MKIII in 22 LR is nothing special.
-A Blued 4" Trooper M KIII in 22 mag is nothing special. But is more special than the other 2 above.

I want to treat my friend fairly, and do not yet have an answer. Robba<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will say again, that your friend may have the answer on what is fair for him. Ask him. You then must decide if it is fair to you.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Some day I would love to see production figures on them. Diamondbacks have captured the eye of collectors. But I bet if the truth is known, the Mark III 22's are CONSIDERABLY more rare than the Diamondbacks (in general) since they were only manufactured for 5 years in 22 caliber and there were so many different variations. They just were never popular and the current Blue Book has them priced near the bottom of the Colt revolver pricing range which is consistant with their retail popularity when they were manufactured. This revolver is a sleeper in the collector market!

If I see NIB 22 Mark III's in the $400 range... sold! Wait and see what happens to the value in the next five years!

[This message has been edited by 22-rimfire (edited 05-23-2005).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

There are very few retail items one can buy that do not depreciate in value over time. Guns are a decent investment if you buy wisely with an eye on how resalable that particular one is. We shoot most all our revolvers, but don't have one that cannot be resold for a good bit more than it was bought for. Not withstanding the joy of owning a fine piece of craftmanship that most older guns exhibit. My guns will go to my son, and I doubt he will ever part with many, if any, but will add to ths collection over the years. Also in a financial bind, I don't know of many possessions than can bring in the hard dollars guns can, and perhaps save ones butt. Peace, Robba

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.