Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran across a quite nice 4" .357 trooper at the local Gander Mtn store today. The gun is in very nice shape. I've never had a trooper, I'm mostly into Pythons and 1911 Colts. Asking price is $500 and it took everything I had to walk out of there without it. I did put it on hold 'til tomorrow just in case! I'm really only interested in buying it if it is a "good" deal... :D

So, what is the popular opinion of these guns? The thing seems like a tank, had a good SA trigger although the DA leaves something to be desired.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I just bought one for same price. Good deal in my opinion, however mine had the box and tool. Like ralph7 said, in next 5yrs they will be over $1000 I'm sure. Buy it if you like it. Haven't got to shoot mine yet but from research they are solid tank guns and built to take a beating.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
In 1969 Colt couldn't compete any longer with their hand assembled and fitted revolvers, so they designed the Mark III action that could be built at a lower price.

At the same time they designed the new Mark III series for unlimited use with Magnum ammo.
Master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen thought the Mark III, Mark V, and King Cobra were the strongest medium frame DA revolvers ever built, including the S&W 686 and Ruger GP-100.

About the only weakness is that you need to use snap caps for dry firing because the firing pin might break, and replacement requires a trip back to Colt where they use a special press device to press the pin out and a new one in.

The Trooper Mark III has a blue job that makes todays guns look crappy by comparison.

Some people don't like the DA trigger feel, so you can install a spring kit of a lighter main spring and trigger return spring.
NO POLISHING OF PARTS is possible without breaking through the very thin hardened surface of the parts.
Polishing isn't needed in any case, since the parts are an early form of powdered metal casting and are already as smooth as will do any good.

And the above is true: The Mark III is a tank.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As always what dfarswheel says is right on. The first revolver I owned was in 1971 and was a 6" Trooper. They will digest heavy loads all day long without an issues. A Colt revolver in .357 mag in the shape you showed is worth $500 every day of the week.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
You have already gotten some of the best advice available on this forum, I will add my .02, that is an excellent price. While I am not as fond of the 4" barrels on revolvers (partial to the 6" and longer), IIRC the 4" models are a bit more sought after. When you go back today, offer less, but buy it either way.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
While the MK series Trooper are as stated, tank tough, I'm an old school Trooper fan. The actions and builds are superior, IMHO, to the later MK line but if you can get it OTD at that price it's not a bad deal though certainly not a bargain. Something about the old Troopers just endear themselves to me and while I've more 4" barrels than 6" I did break down and get a '62 Trooper with a 6" barrel for hoggin (well that was my reasoning to the little woman ;) )

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Get back in there and buy that revolver NOW. Get a Wolff 13 lb mainspring ,and a recoil spring. That will substantially lighten the action. I like the later target grips ,or even better service grips and a tyler t grip. Love these revolvers. Forever revolver. I bought one around 5 yrs ago like new for $270 to give you an idea of price. These will soon be over $800used. Even if Colt brings out a new mid frame da revolver , they will probably retail for $1000 or higher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.