Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I lived in a state with concealed carry, I carried my DS. It was 46 years old. I never had any worries about it not working or being outgunned.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
My old Intel Sergeant used to be of the opinion that if a piece was old, it somehow deteriorated and that the intervening years robbed it of it's ability to function as designed.

He knows better, now...

So long as you maintain it, and don't store it in a bag of saltwater and gravel, it'll work well past your own ability to continue to sit up and take nourishment, and likely well past your grandchildren's grandchildren.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in a state (Arizona) where they don't care how you carry it. However, as a former LEO (California), I'm not a fan of open carry for a variety of reasons. Once the bad guys robbing your local 7-11 see that gun on your belt you become a distinct threat. They are more apt to take you out than if you were standing in line with a bag of Fritos in one hand and a can of Pepsi in the other. The less they know about whether you're armed or not, the better. Plus, open carry in public has a tendency to frighten some law-abiding mild-mannered citizens, and why do that? Unless you are some sort of macho person who could care less and just wants to show people how bad you are.

Sorry, I'm getting off-topic here. Yes, I carry daily (concealed). My DS actually conceals better than my Glock 26, which seems fatter. Both shoot equally in terms of speed and accuracy but I prefer the DS for its simplicity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EX,That is absolutely the truth in the matter about open carry, Its amazing how many people that carry firearms take offense to your facts about it and I stand by it wholeheartedly ,especially in line or in a place of retail business ,If the Hombres are about and they are more than people know I do not want them to know my intentions against their evil and Threat ,its just someone wanting to make a statement they might not want to make for the most part ,Why I will never understand why you would want to bring the gun play your directions in any situations ,I do not carry a gun to Kill people or show off ,I carry a gun so people do not Kill me.or the ones I love, Great post

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Ex. I live in a state with only concealed carry except when hunting and I totally agree with your expressed viewpoint. The last thing I want to attract is attention either by mild mannered citizens or criminals with bad intent. The only person that needs to know my 1960 Cobra or 1968 Detective Special is riding along is ME.....Great Post

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
In my experience, the open carry guys 'really' like to let everyone know they're a badass.

Better to remember that 'concealed carry' means what it says, and keep the piece well hidden, under a calm demeanor, and sense of situational awareness - then if a situation arises calling for the use of deadly force, let that badassery out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have two 40 year old Colts, a Trooper Mk III and a Diamondback. My Carry Colt is only 39 though, a 74 Cobra, It seems to shoot pretty well too. I'll take the blame for the one low and left.
30 Feet

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I believe those are the factory grips on that little beauty.

Nice looking DS. What are those grips? I like them.

I have a DS also, made in 1961. See my new post about holsters.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As far as CCW is concerned, I much prefer that it is someone else who is suprised rather than myself. My "retirement" carry is a Diamondback snub which I had worked over by Cylinder & Slide, with alternates of a 1959 DS, and a 1958 3" Cobra. I use non +P 158 gr SWC for all of them. Of course I have not retired yet.....................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.