Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't answer your question about the stamp but am wondering how I missed this gun. Nice find for that price. Hope you don't cut that 4 1/2" barrel.
I was surprised no one else bid the revolver with such a hard to find barrel length. The seller auction ended at 6:16 PM...
Which worked in my favor. It's better to end your auctions between 9:00 and 11:00 PM... I won't be snubbing this one, it
will stay just as it is. I will letter it, that may shed some light on the stamp...

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
The seller had the gun listed as a 4 1/4" gun and I sent him a note asking him to re-measure and he came back with 4 7/16" which I assume will letter as a 4 1/2". I already had a 4 1/2" so did not bid. That barrel length is really hard to find in the .41 caliber and it was the last Army Special that I bought to finish all of the different barrel lengths with that model. Colt did build a few Army Specials with a 4 1/4" barrel (Very Rare) and when the seller listed it I thought that I may have found one. Glad it went to a fellow Forum member. The Adams is for the Express Company as mentioned above. I sold one several years ago and it brought a lot of money so you may want to get a letter to confirm it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The seller had the gun listed as a 4 1/4" gun and I sent him a note asking him to re-measure and he came back with 4 7/16" which I assume will letter as a 4 1/2". I already had a 4 1/2" so did not bid. That barrel length is really hard to find in the .41 caliber and it was the last Army Special that I bought to finish all of the different barrel lengths with that model. Colt did build a few Army Specials with a 4 1/4" barrel (Very Rare) and when the seller listed it I thought that I may have found one. Glad it went to a fellow Forum member. The Adams is for the Express Company as mentioned above. I sold one several years ago and it brought a lot of money so you may want to get a letter to confirm it.
Thanks for the information Cam, I do plan on lettering the revolver. I also have one in this barrel length, but could not pass this one up
for the asking price...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The letter arrived today for my 4.5 inch Army Special in .41 LC. First, no mention of the
"Adams, Denver Colorado" stamped below the barrel, since it wasn't done at the factory
I guess Colt couldn't comment on it in the letter.

It shipped on November 27, 1911 to Shelton Payne Arms Company, in El Paso Texas, in a 3 gun shipment.
Though I'm somewhat disappointed the "Adams, Denver Colorado "markings were not in the letter, I'm not surprised.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I can understand your disappointment in your Colt not lettering to Adams, but the Shelton Payne Arms Company has a pretty interesting history in its own right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts