Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at a couple of gun shops and a pawn shop today. Inventory very thin. One customer besides me seen. Pawn shop had nothing visible and the gun shops had nothing of interest to a collector. But, one store had a yellow box of Winchester .41 lc ammo. I am not current on dating ammo but it is not new stuff and the box was a little beat up. They wanted $75 for it. Doesn't sound ridiculous but didn't know if that was good or bad. Thoughts? thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stopped at a couple of gun shops and a pawn shop today. Inventory very thin. One customer besides me seen. Pawn shop had nothing visible and the gun shops had nothing of interest to a collector. But, one store had a yellow box of Winchester .41 lc ammo. I am not current on dating ammo but it is not new stuff and the box was a little beat up. They wanted $75 for it. Doesn't sound ridiculous but didn't know if that was good or bad. Thoughts? thanks.
If it is Winchester Western and a full box, I would be interested I would pay $75.00 plus shipping to Coeur d Alene Idaho

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I saw 3 boxes of primers sell for $500 last weekend. They're gonna be like diamonds...$5/primer pretty soon. And the people that bought them for that much will feel pretty silly when they are back available for $42/box.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
The cheapest 38-40 I can find is $2.00 per round!

Reactions: victorio1sw

·
Registered
845 Posts
The yellow box stuff should be from the 1960s and early 70s. I have a box of cases in the yellow box and they are no longer the balloon case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The cheapest 38-40 I can find is $2.00 per round!
Just bought a couple of 38-40's back in Nov/Dec. Haven't even shot them yet. No ammo available and only found 200 bullets and 200 new cases. A couple of weeks ago I found some Black Hills 38-40 so I grabbed 3 boxes for $54 a box + $28 tax and shipping . Have plenty of primers, powder and some bullets but wanted more brass...none available anywhere.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just bought a couple of 38-40's back in Nov/Dec. Haven't even shot them yet. No ammo available and only found 200 bullets and 200 new cases. A couple of weeks ago I found some Black Hills 38-40 so I grabbed 3 boxes for $54 a box + $28 tax and shipping . Have plenty of primers, powder and some bullets but wanted more brass...none available anywhere.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
The yellow box stuff should be from the 1960s and early 70s. I have a box of cases in the yellow box and they are no longer the balloon case.
Yes 60s and 70s is correct. I just picked up 4 boxes of the white box run Winchester did. $100.00 a box shipped. I'd be all over those at $75.00
Take care, Duane

·
Registered
698 Posts
My gunshow partner bought a Lightning 38 at the Louisville show this weekend. Went on a search for a box of 38 Long Colt, found 10 boxes of 38 Short Colt for a very nice price. Bought them all. Also found a box of 41 Long Colt and I think paid the $75 mentioned here.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
My gunshow partner bought a Lightning 38 at the Louisville show this weekend. Went on a search for a box of 38 Long Colt, found 10 boxes of 38 Short Colt for a very nice price. Bought them all. Also found a box of 41 Long Colt and I think paid the $75 mentioned here.

Charlie
You can make 38 Long Colt by cutting down 38 Special cases. I don't remember the length difference but it is about 1/10 of an inch or so. You will need to use either a heeled bullet or a hollow based bullet because of the bore size which I think is .371". A hollow based wadcutter works pretty well. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can make 38 Long Colt by cutting down 38 Special cases. I don't remember the length difference but it is about 1/10 of an inch or so. You will need to use either a heeled bullet or a hollow based bullet because of the bore size which I think is .371". A hollow based wadcutter works pretty well. Happy shooting.
I have a loading tool from Ideal with bullet mold for .38 patient 2/11/1884 that I have used making cartridges for my Grandfathers 1851 conversions, it’s a hollow base! Also have used hollow based wad cutters, which just don’t look right LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts