Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was "railfanning"(another hobby) today,and taking advantage of the nice weather(40) and dry roads here in S, Maine to "blow some of the winter cobwebs" out of my Neon R/T,when I stopped by a small antique shop;never know what I will find,and am always looking for a certain pattern of dishes that Mama Wolf collects(and we use daily!). Anyway,"only thing I saw,of interest",was a box of .41 Colts. "37 " rounds in a "Western Yellow/Blue Box". Got them down to $5.00 and took them home and fired them through my 1920 vintage Army Special 5".

I was amazed! Figured the ammo,might have some "duds",as it looked like 1940's vintage. Smokeless,with the 200 gr.inside lubricated,bluntnose bullets. Now this Army Special,is an old Reblue over some light pits,and while having a great bore,and an almost perfect lock up,it doesn't have what I'd classify as a "sweet S.A. trigger pull".(it was carried by a 1 man police force in a resort community for 35 years,and his son,who I bought it from,said his dad had the trigger "filed" so it wouldn't have a "hair trigger"if he was holding a suspect at gunpoint(why did he cock the gun!!?).

Accuracy was superb! Too snowy to get to my paper target board,so I just set up cans at 25 yards,and nary a miss! The Army Special has a very thin front blade vs. an O.P.,but hate to say it,but accuracy better than my "handloads"! But NOT "power"; penetration was very poor,compared to the handloads of 3.7 "700-x"under a 190 gr. hollow based inside lubed. Bud

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's cool, though I would have been tempted to save the ammo for nostalgia. I am going to shoot my new army 41 for the first time Sunday now that I have some ammo.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Was "railfanning"(another hobby) today,.... Bud<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bud,
What kind of "railfanning" are you into? 1:1 prototype or model??? or both? I like the 1:1 Union Pacific and ATSF and I have "N-scale" as well...
Bob Best

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bob; Not into Model Railroading,too small a home,and the "extra room",now that we are an "empty wolfden",with our daughter long married and in NYC,is my "workshop",gun room,and vault,and my office.(Plus we have 4 cats that spend most of their days there,a Rottweiler"couch/bed potato" and a hyper active German Pinscher. Just love "real" 1 to 1 railroads,and we have an eclectic mix of short lines and ClassII's. I've also "followed" most of the abandoned raillines/interurbans in southern 1/2 of Maine. Ties in nicely with teaching Maine History. Bud

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Hi Bob; Not into Model Railroading,too small a home,and the "extra room",now that we are an "empty wolfden",with our daughter long married and in NYC,is my "workshop",gun room,and vault,and my office.(Plus we have 4 cats that spend most of their days there,a Rottweiler"couch/bed potato" and a hyper active German Pinscher. Just love "real" 1 to 1 railroads,and we have an eclectic mix of short lines and ClassII's. I've also "followed" most of the abandoned raillines/interurbans in southern 1/2 of Maine. Ties in nicely with teaching Maine History. Bud<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bud,

Sounds Great! We have a place near Truckee (Donner Pass) and another over in Fernley (East of Reno)on UP's main line ... I get to see Lots of UP "over the Hill" and have collected a lot of photos of 1:1 over the years...

My email is [email protected] . If you want to talk further and/or share photos of western railroading (or guns!), drop me a note at the above email address.
Have a Great Day!
Bob Best

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lonewolf,

Somewhat off the topic, but re: your cmt about teaching Maine history, have you seen what I thought to be a new release but published in 93 just sent me by a friend titled: GEORGE MAGOON And The DOWN EAST GAME WAR. Author is Edward D. Ives. Published by U of Illinois press in their folklore series. Seems interesting from brief scanning and my friend says some of the old farms mentioned are still extant.

Looking fwd to returning to Maine in June.

------------------
"And the blithe revolver began to sing/ To the blade that twanged on the locking-ring..."

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I spotted a Colt .41 caliber revolver .4 inch barrel that was built on the same frame as the Official Police a few months back at a gun show here in Houston. Looked to be in good condition and if I had had the $300 they were asking for I probably would have bought it. I ask the dealer if they still made ammunition for the.41 and he said "yes." From reading these posts I have a hunch he didn't know what he was talking about and was just trying to furthur encourage me to buy it.
Is there anywhere where you can get fresh ammunition for .41? Will the gun accept .41 magnum (probably not)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I asked about 41 Magnum ammo last week in another thread. answer is NOOOOOO!

I don't have a 41 Colt YET!!! But when I do I'm going to try the Cowboy ammo suppliers.

I see no reason this gun can't shoot something approaching low-end 40 S&W power. Kinda like a .38 wadcutter in theory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts