Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I’m very familiar with the “long” 41colt and different recipe’s for hand loading that-one, but have been coming up basically dry for info on trying any true “shorts” in the 41colt and how to load those. Best I’ve come across was an old Bullseye cut-out from god-knows-when that lists 2.4 and a 160gr bullet (which I presume to be heeled)

I have some of the heeled 200’s but none as light as 160gr... curious if anyone here has ever ventured into the shorts for old-time sake and come up with any sort of loads by chance?

Right now am contemplating giving the 200’s a go in my short-brass (since I have them; the heeled ones) by backing that old recommended 2.4 charge for the 160 off to 2.0/2.2 and seeing what they do.. cylinder is a late 1st Gen, shot it lots with the long 41’s so am not too concerned in it’s strength at all. Gun is a SAA. And finally the load isn’t intended to serve a significant power purpose or to go shoot porcupines with not nuthin’ I just want to try a handful since I’ve got them (& have a few spares outside just having the others for collection-sake) so want to give them a whirl... main #1 is not to back off from 2.4 too far because of concern to be so-light it sticks in the barrel!!! That’s why I figured 2.0/2.2* Anyway.

Interested to to hear from the Colt-Forum. Pretty much Nil elsewhere on the web for “Shorts” data.. may end up a valuable thread down the road*

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I love .41 Long Colt but can't help you on this one. Sure hoping somebody will come along with some knowledge.

I think you truly will have more trouble sticking bullets in the barrel than with an over-pressure condition.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
If you do a search, someone makes a heeled mold for 41 short CF at 160 grains for I believe $95. They may just sell the bullets as well. If it were myself, I would first shave and trim a few of your 200 grain bullets to get to the 160 grain weight and see if you want to pursue further. Just my .02.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roster,
What gun do you fire the .41 short ?
In 41colt chambered guns.. mine is a Single Action Army Colt, 1st Gen era. Basically the 41 short Colt is the same idea in the old 41colt chambered guns as a 22short is in a 22lr or what a 44russian is to 44special (or 44mag) etc etc

Person could almost call the 41colt the original grandad of them all far as the long & short thing goes in said-chambered guns. It was around & being produced to shoot either/or earlier than any other caliber could do such things... exception possibly being 45colt & 45schofield, 41colt would definitely be right behind those for 1st-chambering to shoot longer and shorter rounds of same-caliber in the same gun

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love .41 Long Colt but can't help you on this one. Sure hoping somebody will come along with some knowledge.

I think you truly will have more trouble sticking bullets in the barrel than with an over-pressure condition.
I tend to agree; only kicker I don’t know how carried away I wanna get with is that the only 41short brass that I have found is still the old balloon head type... over-pressuring the chamber isn’t at all my concern, it’s the pressure that balloon head brass can handle is what I don’t know. That’s why I figured back it down a touch with 200’s just to be safe; but smksummers idea to shave some closer to 160 might do the trick to leave the charge at 2.4 regardless too..

I’ll post what I settle on once I have some results to show, meanwhile if anyone else has suggestions or experience with the short cases, by all means...

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I kind of did the same thing loading 38 short colt but with standard inside lubed lead bullets. I believe I used a 9mm expander and bullet seat/crimp die. I loaded a cast 9mm 125 grain bullet that was unsized so close to .357 diameter. It made some cute little cartridges but since then, I simply load that same bullet in a 38 special case with 2.8 grains bullseye for a pip squeak load. Far less hassle without making other dies try to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts