Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which speed loader would come closest to working for a .41 1889 Navy? The ones for my trooper fit the cylinder fine but the cartridges are too big for the loader to lock them in. Also, is the Winchester White Box ammo safe in a model 1889? Thanks, eley.

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
I have shot Winchester White Box .41 L. Colt ammunition in my Colt New Army (made about 1906 or so). My Colt New Army has been completely gone through by Dave Chicoine. It is in perfect working order. I have also tried the Trooper HKS Speedloader and it won't lock the cartridges in. Am going to try and modified the locking star on one of these speedloaders when I get a chance. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I would stay away from any smokeless powder in an 1889. The lockup is lousy on them and they were not rated for smokeless powder. Smokeless at the very least is going to be really hard on the old gun and perhaps even disasterous. If you want to fire smokeless buy a .41 that was made in the smokeless era. I would suggest looking for an Army Special in .41
They are a HUGE improvement over the 1889s or the 1892 New Army and Navy revolvers.
Why do you want a speed loader for an 1889 anyway?

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
These are certainly not the strongest DA guns Colt ever made. When Dave Chicoine finished working on my Colt New Army .41 he test fired it with current manufacture Ultramax ammo. He must of felt it was safe for that ammo. If you don't want ot handload, Ultramax .41 Long Colt ammo is readily available from a number of sources.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
These are certainly not the strongest DA guns Colt ever made. When Dave Chicoine finished working on my Colt New Army .41 he test fired it with current manufacture Ultramax ammo. He must of felt it was safe for that ammo. If you don't want ot handload, Ultramax .41 Long Colt ammo is readily available from a number of sources.
Colt75,

Your Colt was made in 1906 though, well into the smokeless era and safe with smokeless loads. An 1889 is a different animal all together and was discontinued before the smokeless era. The 1892s that came after it were also black powder guns up to around 1899. I still maintain that 455Eley should stay away from smokeless in that old 1889 unless he wants to possibly ruin it.

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Colt75,

Your Colt was made in 1906 though, well into the smokeless era and safe with smokeless loads. An 1889 is a different animal all together and was discontinued before the smokeless era. The 1892s that came after it were also black powder guns up to around 1899. I still maintain that 455Eley should stay away from smokeless in that old 1889 unless he wants to possibly ruin it.
I can see your point on the very early (pre-smokeless) guns. I was relating my experience with my gun. These are very significant guns in that they were the first swing out revolvers. Plus it is lots of fun to shoot guns that are 100+ years old. Again, point taken. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts