Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reloaded this round, using a 200 grain bullet and 3.3 grains of Bullseye powder. Published data reveals that a range of 3.0 to 3.5 grains is acceptable (3.5 grains maximum. Is anyone aware of published data using IMR 4227 powder?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
IMR4227 or H4227 are WAY too slow burning for the ancient 41COLT cartridge. You may find data in an old manual going back 70 to 80 years or so but do not bet the ranch on it. If you do I'll make a side wager it is so slow you can catch the bullets in your ballglove.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I messed with 41 Colt several years ago.

I settled on a 185gr RNHB bullet and 5gr of Unique. My records show this averaged 700 FPS. It was fairly accurate also.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I also used 5gr Unique in my loads under a 200gr HB bullet. It shoots pretty good. I think that the .41 will probably shoot better with black powder because the HB bullet is like a small minie ball and the BP would seal the bore better. I never tried it because I didn't want to have to clean BP residue out of DA revolvers. I carry my .41 Army Special in the woods pretty often so I loaded up a box with 6grs of Unique and they shoot really well, but I think this would be as close to a 'Ruger only' load as you can get with the .41 Colt and should only be used in sound Army Specials and smokeless SAAs, never in 1892s, BP SAAs or especially Thunderers.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I use Bullseye because it burns faster thus increasing the flare of the hollow base of the bullet that seals the bore and grabs the rifling. Unique may be too slow a powder to do this. Blackpowder would probably work better than Bullseye but I don't want the cleanup hassles.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
One positive thing about black powder is that velocity standard deviation of BP loads is usually much lower than smokeless. Some people put up with clean up just to get the intrinsic accuracy that BP offers.

Buck

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My standard load is 5 Grains of Unique with a .386" 200 Grn HBRN Buffalo Arms Co. Bullet. Over
the last 18 months I've loaded and shot around 600 rounds of them through various Army Specials
I have. As long as I don't try for to much distance this seems to be a good all around load. After
25 or 30 yards the spread really opens up on the target. My plan for the future is to start bumping
up the loads, but I won't be able to do that until I have more time this winter.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I also used 5gr Unique in my loads under a 200gr HB bullet. It shoots pretty good. I think that the .41 will probably shoot better with black powder because the HB bullet is like a small minie ball and the BP would seal the bore better. I never tried it because I didn't want to have to clean BP residue out of DA revolvers. I carry my .41 Army Special in the woods pretty often so I loaded up a box with 6grs of Unique and they shoot really well, but I think this would be as close to a 'Ruger only' load as you can get with the .41 Colt and should only be used in sound Army Specials and smokeless SAAs, never in 1892s, BP SAAs or especially Thunderers.
Any idea of what kind of velocity you were getting out of those 6 grain loads?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Any idea of what kind of velocity you were getting out of those 6 grain loads?
I don't have a chronograph but I reckoned it was somewhere in the area of 750-8. It doesn't seem like much but there was a noticeable difference between the 5gr loads.

It would definitely do the job, better than one would expect, as I'm sure you know. I finished a deer that someone had shot the leg off and not bothered to chase with it last season from about 10 yards and it was like flipping a switch. It went all the way through the neck and was sitting just under the skin on the far side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts