Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,388 Posts
My standard load is 5 Grains of Unique with a .386" 200 Grn HBRN Buffalo Arms Co. Bullet. Over
the last 18 months I've loaded and shot around 600 rounds of them through various Army Specials
I have. As long as I don't try for to much distance this seems to be a good all around load. After
25 or 30 yards the spread really opens up on the target. My plan for the future is to start bumping
up the loads, but I won't be able to do that until I have more time this winter.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
I also used 5gr Unique in my loads under a 200gr HB bullet. It shoots pretty good. I think that the .41 will probably shoot better with black powder because the HB bullet is like a small minie ball and the BP would seal the bore better. I never tried it because I didn't want to have to clean BP residue out of DA revolvers. I carry my .41 Army Special in the woods pretty often so I loaded up a box with 6grs of Unique and they shoot really well, but I think this would be as close to a 'Ruger only' load as you can get with the .41 Colt and should only be used in sound Army Specials and smokeless SAAs, never in 1892s, BP SAAs or especially Thunderers.
Any idea of what kind of velocity you were getting out of those 6 grain loads?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.