Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hhhmmmmm... $3500 for a non-existant Python. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Me thinks it may be worth building a few more in the La-bor-itory Doctor Frank-an-shteen.
But the brain... the brain.... the brain seems to be Abby-Normal.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Where the fun starts is years from now when an owner, believing he has a super-rare Python for which he's paid a small fortune encounters a real expert, and proceeds discuss his "factory collectible".

I've seen these things nearly come to fist fights when the expert informs the owner he has a non-factory conversion, and, in this case, that it's unsafe to shoot to boot.

I saw one case that really did nearly come to violence at a gun show, and the owner heard the facts from several experts, two of which were nationally known Colt experts.

He angrily contacted Colt, who told him the gun was a post-factory conversion.
He STILL refused to believe it, and when last I heard about him, was still angrily claiming everyone, including Colt were lying, apparently trying to get his treasure away from him somehow.

On my watchmaker side of business, there was an old gentleman who brought in an old mantle clock for yearly cleaning.
It had a cheap model old clock movement and the case was dry rotted and in bad condition.

It was his treasure, because THIS was the very clock that Jesse James was winding when Bob Ford shot him!!!

It'd been passed down through his family and he was very concerned that our alarm system was up to protecting the extremely valuable and historic clock.

I just never had the heart to tell him that the patent dates on the case and movement were in the late 1890's.... LONG after James was killed.

In the case of the .41 Magnum Python, I foresee two looming situations.
One, the new owner decides to see how his new Python shoots, or tries to letter it from Colt.

Of course this might not happen for years and until it's been bought and sold a number of times, for ever increasing prices.

Or, it may get shown to a real expert, in which case, stand by for the round one bell.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So the concensus is that this Python started life as a lowly 357mag and was converted at some point. With my limited expertise, I agree.
But how was this done? The cylinder was bored to .41 specs, what about the barrel? A liner installed? Couldn't one see this from the muzzle? How about the barrel markings? Engraved rather than rolled?
I'm just curious since it appeared to be a quality job. The finish just didn't look Colt-correct to me, more than anything else. I guess you couldn't just send it back to Colt for an e-nickel though, could ya? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The barrels were probably bored out and re-rifled.
The barrel "appears" to have been either stamped or possibly roll-marked.

I'd bet on stamping.

You could send it in to Colt. It might be fun to watch as red lights flash, air horns and sirens hoot and wail, and flares fire off.

This is a case where you just shake your head.
How the Hell someone could have this level of skills and the equipment to do something like this, but is so stupid they can't figure that a mid-frame revolver just can't handle the pressures of a full charge .41 Magnum.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
A factory letter might certainly be interesting as it will probably say it is (was) a 357 mag. Sometimes ignorance is bliss though as the collector may not want to know.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is , as it was posted in another post, when I asked the seller if he had a factory letter from Colt, he told me that Colt would NOT letter that gun. He spoke to Colt about it and they would NOT letter it.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
30 Posts
This poor guy reminds me of the little old people who show up on Antiques Roadshow and how their faces look when the host turns their furniture over and shows them it is a fake. You have to feel sorry for them, but how do you spend that kind of money without doing any homework? I am so ignorant of collector Colts that it isn't even funny, but even I had heard about the .41 Magnum conversions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
<sigh>

Well, it's not the first time - and it won't be the last, either. With the run up in all Python prices, especially any of the variants, I suppose it was inevitable.

At a recent gunshow I spotted a 3" Python in a display case. I hadn't gotten within 10 feet of the thing before I recognized it as a fake - the barrel had been screwed in with .020" of gap between the barrel shoulder and frame!

I debated whether to "call" the seller on it, but decided that the inevitable shouting and cursing was not something I wished to subject myself to.

When Sportsmans Guide sold off the 3" Python barrels a couple of years ago, I had several people call me and ask if I would rebarrel their guns. I replied that I'd be happy to, but I would mark the frame under the grips so that it was clearly a re-barrel. Funny thing - none of them took me up on the offer! Someone out there must have, though, as I see more 3" guns than 2-1/2" models.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
I've noticed another phenomena recently.

There are an astounding number of Colt's "In the box" in which the end flap that has the serial number and other info "Just" happens to be missing.

For some unexplained reason, the end with the factory label seems to be more prone to tearing off and getting lost.

The Colt DA revolver is apparently dead, and prices are starting to skyrocket.
Brace yourselves for a wave of weird and oddball "Genuine factory" Colt's.

I'd be looking REAL close at any Python. There are a lot of 1960's Troopers that were fitted with Python barrels in the late 60's early 70's.

These "Troop-Ons" or "Poopers" can be tough to detect.

Look for signs of the welded top strap to meet the Python top lug, and check serial numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
This kind of stuff happens all the time, and some of it is so obvious that one wonders how it can happen.

For example, recently the top half of a Pre-War Service Ace placed in a Pre-War Conversion Unit box was sold for big bucks as a "U" serial-numbered Conversion Unit. The slide did NOT have the words "Conversion Unit" on it as it should, and the lightly-struck, improper font "serial number" read the wrong way, with the "U" away from the rear sight instead of being the first entry next to the rear sight. I pointed this out to the seller who actually posted the information on the auction and it STILL sold for the big bucks. Why would someone ignore the obvious?

There is or was up for auction a Pre-War Officers Model .22 with a "rare 8 3/8-inch" barrel, which is actually an Officers Model with a 10-inch Camp Perry barrel modified to fit the Officers Model frame. The seller insists it is genuine.

I also recall the reblued early Model 1911 with the property mark ground off that sold for $1500!

I must stop. This stuff makes me ill!

·
Registered
778 Posts
To me, this seems to be what happens when the word "hobby" goes out of the equation.

We are not experts! So I will say it again, if it looks wrong to us, it probably is, and we "walk". There are too many guns out there to sweat one or two we cannot identify.

Why would the gun collecting hobby/business not attract the same types of trashy folks that politics, and the Enron's do. Look at the famous Mr. Wilson. Get "real", they are everywhere.

That's part of the beauty of these forums. They are kind of like a free insurance policy. There are many
knowledgeable people around, that are willing to share their experience with us.

I for one appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree totally with robba, well said. And I appreciate everyone's input here also. The free information you get here is PRICELESS ! Thanks to all the experts here. Have saved me from overspending a few times, Shoo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts