Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt 41 Single Action Army with a 5 and 1/2" barrel. I have had it for years and purchased it from the gentleman that purchased it in 1909. The serial number is 177389. I sent all the information that I had to Colt and received a letter back from them saying the gun was made in 1898. I am now thinking of possibly selling the gun and would greatly appreciate any help in knowing what it is worth. I have attached photos. It appears to be in very good condition, it is very tight, everything works, looks like it wasn't used much at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think it would sell in the $1800.00 to $2000.00 range. I'm sure someone with more
experience with SAA's will be along soon. It's a very nice revolver. Who did it ship to in 1898.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Since it's under 182,xxx it's considered an antique (probably would have been anyway since it's 41 colt and it's an obsolete caliber) it will be appealing to a wider base since you don't have to ship it through a FFL or C&R. Hard to tell exactly how much bright blue and colorful case colors from the pictures but I'm going to say probably in excess of $2200 to a collector for his personal collection.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
That's a dealer I haven't heard of and Texas isn't a bad place for a colt to be shipped to at all.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
I hope yopu won't mind the correction but it's "Swaim's" not "Swain". That hardware store is still in business as well.

Bud

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
As others have mentioned, in order to provide a realistic response with regard to value; high resolution, in focus pictures are necessary that show the true colors and contours of the Single Action. Also, pictures that clearly show all markings are extremely important. It appears to me that your pictures were washed out using a flash.

The chambering (41 Colt) and barrel length (5 1/2 inches) of your Single Action are not the most popular for probably the majority of collectors, but in my opinion the Paris, Texas ship to address makes up for this and makes it a desirable Colt. I actually like the 41 Colt chambering and don't mind a 5 1/2 inch barrel. Love those Texas shipped guns!!!! :D

I’ve seen a few Paris, Texas shipped Single Actions, but I can't remember what they were chambered in. However, I’ve seen a few 41 Colts that were shipped to Sherman, Texas; just a little west of Paris. Guns shipped to Paris and Sherman probably made their way north across the Red River into Oklahoma Territory. A friend of mine has a Single Action chambered in 41 Colt that was shipped to Sherman, Texas in 1892; I have first right of refusal on that Colt when he decides to let go of it! :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do you know if the gentleman bought it new? If so, it appears to have been setting in the hardware store for about eleven years. No biggie, just an observation. I think if it is all correct, it will bring $2,500 plus.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
2500.00 with TX shipping address for quick sale. call the hardware and see if old records exist. Long shot might may help value.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Went through Paris yesterday and had to check this out. The business is called "Bob Swaim Hardware" located at 240 1st SW Street Paris, Texas. It's located a little south of the downtown area. You can type the address into google maps and go to street view and see the front of the building from street level.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts