Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, November 1, 2013, is a very special day for me as a law enforcement officer. It was on this same date in 1971, that I reported for duty for the first time as a new member (rook). That was but 42-year ago today. My 'active' law enforcement status has survived (so far!) one storm after another along the way, thanks to GOD's Mighty Hand, and for most of this 'roller-coaster' ride my Colt Official Police (869943) has remained in my duty holster. I have written in other posts about the 'challenge' of keeping that Colt active law enforcement too. Also, the issues of keeping that fine precision shooting instrument up and running during this time span. Cop world can be brutal, ugly, blurred lines of justice at times, very politically correct nowadays, and did I mention 'unfair' at times. There were a couple of times in yesteryear days I got into trouble for not being 'strong' when I needed to be the most. My Colt OP was a silent partner to most of my highs and lows. This same Colt, thanks to much firearms practice, shamed many of the 'latest' in high tech weaponry on the field-of-honor, the range. My Colt stayed relevant and viable because of a 'plugged-in' owner, who stayed on top of early timing problems that would raise its ugly head. I shot my OP much over the years, in practice, with only one on-duty shooting affair for us in 1985. Thank goodness for only one time! I had my Colt refinished, twice, during this marathon. I had the chance to change duty arms numerous times but always, somehow, someway was able to hold on to that Colt. It was a Christmas Eve 1971 present from very good parents, who wanted their newly hired police officer son, to have the 'best' in cop .38's. That was my Dad's take on it as he told me that he wanted a Colt on his son's side when he reported for duty, the day after that 'special' Christmas so many years ago. I acquired many handguns over the years and from time to time would slip one into my holster for a short carry but always returned back to my OP. Maybe, I'll up and retire one day, but that is for another time. Today, I quietly celebrate this special day with my old friend in my duty holster, where it belongs! Thanks my friends, for allowing me to share this day with you.
David

·
Registered
581 Posts
Congratulations and thank you for 42 years of "serving and protecting" the public. It's nice to hear a Colt OP has been by your side for the whole trip.

Would love to see some pics

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Trapdoor & Parrisjr: Many thanks for your interest in my 'partner', the Official Police. You can see a posted picture of my duty Colt on the Colt Forum dates of 8/18/09. Mr Sajer was kind enough to help me out in posting these pictures of my OP and Metropolitan. I was under the monniker of 'OFFICIALPOLICE' at that time. Also, a more recent picture was on 10/22/13 of this Forum. The 2-pictures show my OP with me profiling, and a picture of my Colt on the desk here. The two different uniforms from 09 and 13 reflect a promotion to LT from Sgt., but still packing my Colt, hopefully to retirement. Thanks again fellas!
David

·
Registered
714 Posts
I must say Dabney that is a ton of years dealing with parts of society that most of us would rather not meet. Good on you and teach the youngsters how to be real police,if thats even possible in this day and age.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
There are 3 things you know about a officer when he was carrying a wheelgun,#1 He knows how to use it,#2 He will hit what he is aiming at and #3 He will not waste ammo when dealing with a situation. You all know I am the dinosaur because 99% of the time my Cobra or Detective Special is on my hip. A few years ago I shot a Hogan's Alley course with a few state officers. I ran the course with a Model 10 and 3 speedloaders and shot the course clean. I was screamed at by the rangemaster after I was finished.When I asked what the problem was being I shot the course clean he said"It's not that you shot the course clean,it's how you shot the perps, we aren't allowed to take headshots." I then explained I have 18 rounds of ammo with the others having 52 and I didn't have the ammo to waste so each was taken out with a head shot.You may not be allowed to take head shots but I am and I will take head shots.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Congratulations Mr. Dabney! As a citizen, I've been carrying an OP for only 9 years now. I've had a lot of handguns come and go through my hands, but it always seems to come back to my original Official Police (either my 1944 or 1961 version) guns that wind up in my holster 80% of the time. I think the only other reason I occasionally carry something different is familiarity and interest. But the Official Police is a simple fundamental weapon that is the perfect all around carry weapon. A little bit and enough of everything

·
Registered
138 Posts
David, I bow before you!

When I joined the LAPD (1974-2008), the department issue sidearm was a 4" S&W Model 15. I elected to carry my dad's 6" Colt Diamondback. He served on the LAPD from 1946-1971 and carried the Diamondback for the latter part of his career. Although I qualified with the Beretta 9mm, I stayed with my Colt wheel gun for my 34 years of service.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
My night watchman job at lockheed wasnt near as glamoris but its worth mentioning I also carried the colt OP mostly from 1965 to 2,000. We also were issued s&w 586`s and ruger speed sixs. I stayed mostly with the OP every chance I had. I checked out our numbers and they all seemed to be from the korean war era. Ours all had LAC on the butt ahead of a 3 didget number. Probley meant for "Lockheed aircraft company". I liked them with the service grips as the gun was lighter and less bulky to pack. I started out at burbank in 1965, did 4 years and in 1969 went to palmdale untill I retired in 2,000. Dont know what they are issued now, probley a 9mm semi
auto. We had to requalify every 6 months. We had a number of retired LAPD working with us for their 2nd careers. Also from many other leo departments and military.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr. SmithSwede: Please pardon the delay in responding as in the last recent days I have been away due to a death within my family. Family needed my full attention during this awful time we all go through. I started my law enforcement career on 11-1-72 with the PD here in Columbus. I retired from police work in December 1992 and promptly went to work as a Supervisor of Security at Columbus Regional Healthcare. This was a job that was under the auspices of the Muscogee County Sheriff's Office here in Columbus. I was a Sergeant for 20+years and recently promoted to Lieutenant. We are a uniform agency serving under the SO here. Actually, where I'm currently deployed at, is a 'quaint' little 5-story building known to local law enforcement as "Fort Apache" AKE: Health & Human Services Building. We stay very busy here due to the 'nature' of the business conducted here at the Fort! For those who might not be aware of 'what' HHS is all about it is this; public assistance-welfare, five-mental health clinics that attracts some colorful Disney Land creatures at times, the Health Department with the social ills that government agency has to deal with. We are swallowed up, at times, by the numbers of troubled souls coming into our building seeking help. There are some truly pitiful cases that show up as well as some cases that are not worthy of mention, read between the lines-please! These cases validate the 5-sworn officers
presence in the HHS Building. These fine officers, as well as the 25+ at the hospital, I'm very honored to serve with and work with both groups. The HHS troopers have their hands full! The Hospital officers have their hands full at the Emergency Room, where are kinds of problem children show up for treatment. Some are combative, as some of you may have been in a large hospital ER before and know 'what' I am talking about. I just thought I retired in 92, as I jumped out of the frying pan (PD) and into the fire (HHS BLDG.)! I wouldn't change nothing though! It was exactly as it should be, for me! Thanks again sir for your interest!
David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.