Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you looking for information on a particular gun? If so pictures are a neccessity in order for the people in the know to be able to comment on it.
If general info, then the Colt SAA was firsr produced in 45 Colt as a standard for military use. As they added a more civilian clientelle they started addin other calibers, one of which was the 44 WCF so that frontiersman who were a long way from supply sources could carry just one type of ammo for both their Colt and their Winchester rifle, or so the story goes.

The 44 WCF or Winchester Center Fire cartridge eventually became more well known as the 44-40. Colt's SAAs that were so chambered were initialy acid etched with the phrase 'Frontier Six Shooter' along the left side of the barrel. Later this was changed to a roll stamp, and as time went on the phrase evolved as well. Frontier Six Shooters were made in all of the available barrel lengths from Sheriffs up to Buntlines and all available finishes.
For more complete info, I'd suggest getting book by either Kopec or Moore or both. There are probably more books out there written about the Colt than any other single gun out there. Also do a search of this forum, there are any number of threads acout the 44-40s. Hope this little bit helps to guide you to the specific information needed. I only own a little over a half dozen of them in all three generations so I'm no expert, plenty of people here are tho.
0714191247a.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently my response did not get sent. Anyhow the Colt is miked out at .412. I am looking for a bullet that I can reload into the casings. I have a RCBS bullet mold 44 - 200 - RN and the bullet itself is to large to fit into the cylinder.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can buy .412 bullets from most of the bigger cast bullet companies. Try Missouri Bullet Company.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Welcome , Angeleyes. As you can see.. there is no mercy for the new members when you walk into the saloon. You just have to learn to duck the bottles thrown :)

Since you’re looking for reloading info, I suggest posting your question in the reloading section and you may get more responses. Posting here, we thought you are asking about the SAA in that caliber.. or a specific gun and forgot to include the link , etc..
That is a caliber that many members know about

·
Registered
887 Posts
.412 bullet for a 44-40 is waaaaayyyyy tooo small. And Missouri doesn't sell them that small. .428 is what I use in mine.
Yeah typo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have poured bullets for various Colt pistols. For the 44 I was using RCBS 44 - 200 - Rn. The bullets are measuring .426. They will not fit into the cylinder. The bore micks at .412. There is no way a .428 will fit. Somebody will be able to catch on to this ?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
0.412? Wow, that is small. Did you do a chamber cast of the cylinder? I am wondering if someone changed things out over the years and it is no longer a 44-40. The smallest 44-40 I ever ran across miked .424, the largest .435. Maybe someone tried to make a 41 magnum out of it. Does an empty 44-40 case fit in the cylinder?

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bona fide reloading guidebook does not tell me dittily, I know how to reload, I am looking for a bullet that does not hang up in the cylinder, The bore is .412, A .426 or .428, or .430 bullet does not fit in the cylinder. It is not black powder, so what era means nothing ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I shoot and reload .38-40 and .44-40 all the time, in single actions and Winchesters. The more I read of this post, the weirder it sounds. Nothing about the bore size makes sense in .44-40. I too, would be very interested in knowing how it's marked for caliber.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Something ain't right. It is common for chamber throats to be very tight in 44-40s. I recently opened the throats on one up to .429 but it was .423 and the barrel (to bottom of grooves) was .427. Shoots much better groups now and the same loads work in my 73. I load a 200 grain round flat nose bullet that's sized .429, lubed with SPG over 36 or so grains of ffg Goex. Be sure you use enough to get a little compression. OP, is your barrel marked "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER"? You can measure your throats with a ball gauge and micrometers but the barrel requires slugging with a round ball and measuring it with micrometers. Calipers just aren't accurate enough.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.