Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I shoot several 44 Special revolvers and I cast and load my own. I'm of the opinion that it is really difficult to do the 44 Special wrong; the cartridge is very forgiving. Great load and great shooting on your part.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like .44 Special. The factory 'standard' round was a 246 grain RNL loaded so it would not abuse an older .44 Russian (top break Smith & Wesson) revolver with sloppy chambers.

Which is why the late Elmer Keith began his quest resulting in the .44 Magnum. I have a couple .44 Magnum revolvers, but shooting full house loads has paled on me some time ago. But I found a S&W 2nd Model .44 Hand Ejector and based on other published research have a load pushing a 250 flat front lead bullet at about 800 fps. Heavy enough to do about anything needing doing with a revolver and light enough not to be a trial to shoot. (Should not be stressful on the revolver, either.)

Put me down as 'in favor' of the .44 Special.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Love 44 special as well. It appears a sizable sum of 44 magnum owners forget about the fun of shooting 44 specials in a 44 magnum. I was one of them when I got my first 44 magnum 40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I own more molds for the .44 revolver than any other caliber. The one I find the most joy in for casual shooting is the Lyman 429383 plain base round nose that's very close to the original .44 Special bullet. I load it light to just around 700fps and have a grand time shooting it out of my 4" S&W 629-3. Okay, so it just pokes ragged holes in the paper rather than leaving a nice perfect round hole...I could care less, it's the joy of shooting that matters.

·
Registered
661 Posts
LEE makes a 200 grain RNFP mold for the 44SPL/Mag. Behind 4.5-5.0 grains of RedDot in a .44Special case, this load is a tack driver.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I am a big fan of the 44 special-

And the 41 magnum to.

I don't reload so that puts a damper on my fun.

I don't understand why both rounds did not take off with the public, and are not more popular, they are great imo, esp the .44

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well i have loved 44 special since i was a kid...i have owned a few and they are a true pleasure to shoot...i have just got a 1959 Ruger Blackhawk Flat top 7.5" due to the 44 caliber too....u can not go wrong with the 44 special...everyone should own one...God Bless,John

Reactions: Ugly Hombre

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The 44 Special is my Favorite round....as is the 44/40. The 44 Spl is a good cartridge to load for. I get Starline brass online and 200 gr LSWC's from SnS casting. Same goes for my 44/40.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts