Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating the thought of buying a Colt new frontier in 44 special,particularly in 5.5" barrel. I know they are out there! This would be for close up deer hunting.The factory loads are weak though, just wondering if you can buy some aftermarket hotter loads Also any problems with the 44 specials in Colt New frontier? I know the 45 colt have cyclinder hole tightness.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a 3rd Generation New Frontier, 4 3/4" bbl. that I bought NIB and its in 44/40,but I bought,and "fitted" a new .44 Special for it,making it "dual cylindered". I also have a 2nd Generation,SAA,that someone "customized",by adding S&W adjustable rear sights, a new match grade bbl(4 3/4") with higher ramp sight in .44 Special. These are BOTH very accurate guns,but it took some "smithing" to get the New Frontier to have a nice action and smooth,light trigger pull. There is NO factory ammo that I would consider adequate and HUMANE for deer,even close up. I believe that there are some custom reloaders that will make you some ammo,but who knows in the lawsuit enamored society? I have turned down several friends who wanted me to reload "hotter ammo" for them. My 2 Colts are very light,and easy to pack,but I think your better off buying a Ruger,although I dislike them for my purposes, single action in .44 magnum,as there are some factory rounds in that caliber that will take deer adequately,if you do your part.By the way,BOTH of my Colts prefer bullets sized .427-.428,due to their tigh barrels and throats-and that is under factory .44 Special/Mag specs. Good Luck in your quest. Bud

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud thats an idea !!! Look for a 44-40 and then buy a new cylinder blank and have it drilled for 44 special so I would have a convertable of both calibers. And isnt 44-40 powerful enough for big game at 50-75 yards?When you say accurate did you try getting any groups at a certain yardage? Also Im surprised the trigger and action wasnt smooth and tight for you I thought Colts were pretty good on this. Do the Colt NFs have the recessed cylinders?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The 3rd Generation Colt SAAs and N.F.s use a different cylinder than the earlier ones(among other "changes" that suck and frustrate me!) and there are cylinders out there already chambered(got mine for $75). It has been my experience that the 3rd generation guns were "assembled" rather than "fitted",as many,if not most,were bought by "investors" who never turned the cylinder etc. This is especially true for later guns,and there was a "rush" by these folks to buy all they could when it was announced that the SAA & N.F. were being discontinued around 1982(the SAA wasn't). This gun was NIB,and after cocking it a few times,a cylinder line appeared;unacceptable! After my first 50 rounds,of test fire & sighting in,I tore it down and refitted it,including a new bolt. It is fine now(but not quite up to the 2nd generation .44 special in smoothness). The 44/40 is NOT "humane" for deer at any range in a handgun;sure it will kill them,but they will usually die a lingering death. These 2 guns both shoot just under 4" at 50 yards,so I could hit a deer,but I wouldn't want to bet that it would be "stopped". Also,some states will NOT allow handgun hunting,or rifles either,below a certain amount of foot pounds of energy with factory ammo. Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts