Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about aquiring a 45-70 to shoot with my Colt Single Actions. From my visits to this site, I know there are some really
knowledgeable and experienced shooters here. I need some advice. Which is more preferable - C. Sharps or Shiloh Sharps?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
While I don't own either, I think both are fine. You will read more about the Shiloh than the C. Sharps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Sharps You mentioned are both good choices. Once You own a Sharps You just always seen to have more follow you home, I dont know how many I have both reproductions and orginals. Speaking of 45-70, The Trapdoor Springfield is not a bad choice if You shot black powder in it. One I want to get is the mini Sharps in 7/8 scale.
Texas Man

·
Registered
544 Posts
Greetings------I own about 7 different brands of 45/70's. Everything from orignals to repo's. The Shilo Sharps is to expensive and way to long of a wait to get one. If you are going to hunt and target shoot I would go with either Marlin Mod 95 in 45/70 about $600 new or for target shooting a Remington Rolling block type.

If I can help PM me-----I do LOTS of 45/70 shooting.

Ronin

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I shoot an original Springfield M1884 "Trapdoor" .45-70 and find it to be pleasingly accurate off the bench rest with prepared handloads. Despite cautions about using only black powder in these rifles, it likes light charges of IMR 4198 best under 405 grain cast lead bullets. Other bullets and loads have been tried that have returned good accuracy. Black powder loads can be accurate but foul rapidly and cease to be fun in short order due additional necessary swabbing.

I also have a Winchester Model 1886 .45-90 that sees more use with .45-70 cartridges than it does with .45-90 cartridges.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I have a Pedersoli Quigley Sharps that is much cheaper than the C. Sharps or Shiloh Sharps rifles. I have shot and owned 2 Browning/Winchester 1886 rifles in .45-70 also. All were fun to shoot!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have 2 Sharp's 1 is a 32" oct. bbl. pedersoli which I won the Az long range Championship w/several years ago & the other one is a 28" oct. bbl. I built from parts myself,& I've got a H & R "Buffalo Classic"but my pride & joy is an older Marlin w/a 32" oct. bbl. it holds 10 rds in the magazine,it weighs 12 lbs. empty.The Pedersoli shoots just as good as any of the other expensive Sharps & so does the one I built.All of them have been lap fired for accuracy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Colts and Sharps

Plenty of men who carried Colts in the Old West owned Sharps; they still do.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I have a H&R repro officers model trapdoor that gets fired with Lyman cast bullets and unique powder loaded to older trapdoor levels. Lots of fun but I would trade anyday for a Marlin Cowboy 45-70. I have handled but never shot a Charles Daly mini sharps in 45 Colt. Looks like a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Your Colt is a Colt. Not made anywhere but here. Do the same with a Sharps. Shiloh Sharps and C Sharps are both excellent choices. You can order one but will wait a while. Last I heard was 18 months minimum from either one. Check GunBroker. Much faster. The .45-70 is a very good choice. Look at this website.

Welcome to ShilohRifle.com

They have very good forum. Get on and ask questions. The people there are as good as the Colt people.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have bagged many deer with a Marlin 1895 pre cross lock safety. The 45-70 round is completely lethal on game. It makes one think that Elmer Keith really might have bagged a little big game with large, slow moving projectiles and observed the same lethal results.

I inherited my grandfathers Trapdoor 45-70 and think I need to use it some this deer season.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I own a Shiloh Sharps, two Pedersoli's and an original saddle ring carbine. The Shiloh is beautiful and accurate beyond my abilities and was ridiculously expensive. The European reproductions USED to be more economical but today's dollar does not buy much and a good Quigley or a Billy Dixon are two grand. But you will be happy with almost any good Sharps. They are a great rifle.
For 45-70 BPCR a Rolling Block is, IMHO, a superior choice than the trapdoor. The Springfield was a weaker design and was chosen because they had tons of surplus rifles they could convert and the Ordnance Dept hated anything that did come out of their offices.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've put 4K rounds through my two Pedersoli '74's and they are well made and accuracy is great. The US '74's are top quality and I may get one someday; however, not having any experience with BPCR, I wanted to see if I would enjoy it without a major commitment. You couldn't go wrong with either brand you mention; however, if you are going to have one built, might as well get every item you want.....the old "in for a penny, in for a pound".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Speaking of Sharps '74's, the scene in "Quigley Down Under" (which I had never even heard of until after I got my first '74) where he is showing his ability by hitting the bucket offhand with a 45-110 is maybe stretching it a little. Computations on time/speed/distance of the rider and horse would put the target @ about 975 yards. That's Hollywoodland for you.....Also Shiloh made the '74's for the film.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Speaking of Sharps '74's, the scene in "Quigley Down Under" (which I had never even heard of until after I got my first '74) where he is showing his ability by hitting the bucket offhand with a 45-110 is maybe stretching it a little. Computations on time/speed/distance of the rider and horse would put the target @ about 975 yards. That's Hollywoodland for you.....Also Shiloh made the '74's for the film.
Quigley used the 45-110 and it'd do it. The off-hand part might be stretching it a bit but cross sticks are almost a given.
Billy Dixon's famed shot at Adobe Walls was 1538 yards and Dixon is reported to have used the 50-90 Sharps.

Shiloh did make the rifles, three of them and then one was sent back and re barreled with an aluminum dummy for Selleck to do the fight scenes. I guess even he had trouble swinging that 15 lb beast around.
Story has it that Selleck ended up with BOTH the guns and later auctioned one for charity.
I shudder ever time I watch it and he throws that rifle aside at the final duel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quigley used the 45-110 and it'd do it. The off-hand part might be stretching it a bit but cross sticks are almost a given.
Billy Dixon's famed shot at Adobe Walls was 1538 yards and Dixon is reported to have used the 50-90 Sharps.

Shiloh did make the rifles, three of them and then one was sent back and re barreled with an aluminum dummy for Selleck to do the fight scenes. I guess even he had trouble swinging that 15 lb beast around.
Story has it that Selleck ended up with BOTH the guns and later auctioned one for charity.
I shudder ever time I watch it and he throws that rifle aside at the final duel.
The bucket scene was originally written with Selleck shooting from a horse. That would be a stretch for anyone's imagination. Dixson was amazed himself that he knocked the Indian off the horse with his 50 at that distance, as he stated in his memoirs. There is a shoot in the West where the targets are three silhouettes on a horse at that distance, good luck on that one......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts