Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have shot a couple hundred rds thru my convertible 45 but always used brass hardball 230 FMJ. By mistake went to the range with a box of aluminum Blazer 45 ACP didn’t work out,you can see scuff marks on the rim,froze the cylinder from rotating. Have no problem with BRASS. Just passing it along fir info. I don’t know if my gun is super tight,there is no endshake but it’s been fired a lot before it got to me but not in ACP. Pete

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Audio equipment Rim

Reactions: dandak

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Hardness is measured on the Brinell Hardness Scale in units of BHN (Brinell Hardness Number). For comparison, stainless steel has rating of 200 BHN where pure aluminum is 15 BHN. There is literally no danger to your firearms steel parts when using aluminum cased ammo.

What you can experience though, is failure to eject (FTE), failure to feed (FTF) and double-feeds when using aluminum cased ammo. This can occur because Aluminum has a lower melting point than brass (660°C vs 900°C, respectively). Now this does not mean that the case is going to melt into the chamber of your favorite pistol or revolver.

What it does mean is that the cartridge case can be kind of “sticky” during the ejection process. Furthermore, aluminum has a lower surface lubricity when compared to brass which can also cause extraction to feel sluggish. And Aluminum cases expand slightly more than Brass, and marks can / will be exhibited on the case rims or sides.

Since your not gonna reload your Aluminum cases...again, no worries.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds like an ammo issue to me if it only rubs and locks up the cylinder with that particular ammo. If it functions with the brass ammo you normally use I would think your gun is fine. Had you had this issue with all ammo it would point to the gun tolerances.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have shot a couple hundred rds thru my convertible 45 but always used brass hardball 230 FMJ. By mistake went to the range with a box of steel case Blazer 45 ACP didn’t work out,you can see scuff marks on the steel rim,froze the cylinder from rotating. Have no problem with BRASS. Just passing it along fir info. I don’t know if my gun is super tight,there is no endshake but it’s been fired a lot before it got to me but not in ACP. Pete

View attachment 769707
Looks like aluminum to me, in any case blazer ammo is not quite top shelf. Probably a little on the long side of case length.

Use it in other guns and keep the brass for the SA.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My mistake guys (embarrassed )😞,Blazer is aluminum,of course. I think the stuff maybe a little out of spec. I just measured a few unfired cases of Blazer and Brass ammo. The aluminum stuff averaged out to 22.80 mm LOA. The brass stuff averaged 22.60 mm. The difference is about .024” which would cause a problem. Pete

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Reactions: superdave269

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
In my experience, Blazer is very dirty ammunition. I avoid it.

Reactions: AMU1911

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
You get what you pay for and Blazer is the absolute bottom of the barrel in cost…. To be that “cheap”, you need to use cheaper “ingredients“ and most assuredly quality will suffer…

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I used the get Blazer once in a while because it was cheap to shoot.
The Blazer brass .45 with the small primer doesn't do a thing for me. It is odd stuff, and interferes with normal thinking for conventional reloading. Maybe it's me, but I'll stick with the large pistol primers.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yes aluminum is softer than steel, but it immediately develops an oxidized surface layer of....aluminum oxide. Same stuff some sandpaper is made of. That stuff is HARD and can and does scratch steel. I do not know if they coat Blazer cases with a protectant or not to avoid that. I have ocassionally used it but try not to.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Funny thing about Blazer brass cases: I reload them and find them good for that purpose. In fact, almost as nice as my Starline or Federal brass for getting many reloads before they begin to split.

I have picked up quite a few once-fired examples in .45 acp and .38 special at my range. I load to low power for my M1917, various .38s, and 1911.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I guess I'm lucky.
I've used aluminum cased CCI ammo for years, especially in Winter when I don't want to retrieve brass from snow. Usually 9mm and 45acp.
From recent experience it's performed better than any Remington ammo I've used since last year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts