Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disregarding those produced for the U. S. military as the Model of 1917, did Colt at any other time produce on a regular or special order bases the Colt New Service revolver chambered for the .45 ACP/AutoRim? If so, how many may have been produced and when?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have a 45 A.C.P. New Service dated to 1942. No Gov't markings, strictly a commercial model. It has been refinished and had the wrong stocks but it likes 45 Auto and Auto RIM. Good shooter.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I do not believe anyone ever offered a Revolver intended specificially for the .45 Auto-Rim Cartridge.

Rather, the Ammunition Makers offered the .45 Auto-Rim Cartridge as an alternative for any Revolver otherwise made for use with the .45 ACP & Moonclips.

Edit:

Oh, sorry, tired Brain and I think I mis-read your Question -

Commercial Model 'New Service' Revolvers chambering the .45 ACP or Auto-Rim were made and offered routinely, from the WWI time period, up till the bitter end, when the U. S. entered WWII.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I was informed that over 300K New Service revolvers were produced so pickins' and parts should be available.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,656 Posts
Colt did in fact offer the New Service in .45 acp. They first appeared in the 324000 serial number range and were offered through the end of the production run. They were sold in all three of the barrel lengths: 4 1/2", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2". This caliber was also offered in the New Service target in both the 6" and 7 1/2" barrel lengths. The frame on the .45 acp was different than the .45 long Colt as it had a wider cylinder stop lug since the cylinder was shorter on the .45 acp.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I purchased this New Service in 45 ACP at Las Vegas show in January 2012. thecoltguy looked a the gun and advised it was a gun made up of left over WW 1 parts.
Serial number 324472 with letter showning shipped in 1926.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,656 Posts
I purchased this New Service in 45 ACP at Las Vegas show in January 2012. thecoltguy looked a the gun and advised it was a gun made up of left over WW 1 parts.
Serial number 324472 with letter showning shipped in 1926.
Roy

Not this one, it was one of the first of the .45 acp commercial production guns that Colt offered in the New Service. These were serialized in the 324000 serial number range. The parts guns were offered a few years later in the 335000-336000 range.

Cam.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cam thanks for straightening me out , I thnk the grips on the guns made up of surplus parts were different. Is the one shown in the Rdrbill's post one of the
part guns, the grips are different. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts