Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a extra CYL in 45 Auto for my second generation Colt SAA.Do they work, and are they safe to shoot? Is there a lot of work to get them to fit? Thanks for any info.

Horse Gunner

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"Been there,tried that",neighbor(I live in Maine),and unless you can find a GENUINE Colt made cylinder,I'd be wary of using a cylinder made for one of the Italian copies of the SAA. I bought one,from a Mitchell brand SAA,as I'd "come into" a vast amount of military surplus .45 ball ammo for "free".The ratchet teeth are different,as is the length of the cylinder,and an experienced gunsmith,said short of an expensive milling and recutting job,it wouldn't easily "fit". I tried a little hand filing,and even put a "clone" hand on in my 2nd Gen .45,but it wouldn't function smoothly,so the cylinder(only gave $20 for it!) is now a pencil holder.

Colt made a few .45 acp. cylinders for the First and 2nd Gens,(2nds were mostly commenoratives,I think,even an unfluted model) and last one I saw on ebay went for over $300!..They were more plentiful,I think,for 3rd. Gens,but that doesn't help you unless you change your hand to a 3rd. Gen,and then who knows about "functioning?"

Hopefully,someone out there will have a better experience with using a .45 acp.cylinder. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
Couldn't you have a smith mill the back of a correct Colt-made .45 Colt cylinder, as was done with the Webleys, and use a moon clip?
JT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Numrich Arms is the company selling the Cyl,do not know the quality of the cyl,but was just a thought,as I shoot 1911 and have lots of 45 Auto ammo. Do not think moon clip would work in a Colt Single Action.If you ever come across a Colt Cyl drop us a line. Thanks for the info.

Horse Gunner

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
SAAs do not have "ejector" star type ratchets,and those SAAs(like a Ruger 10mm/38'40 I owned - ugh!),headspaced the rimless 10 mms. case mouth in the cylinder on the step,and were ejected one at a time,by the rod ejector. A milled .45 Colt cylinder,would work,using the clip(s) to assure headspacing-BUT-it would mean removing the cylinder each time to unload/load, a pain IMO. And with the price of genuine ,45 Colt cylinders.......? Bud

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the info> The cost of cyl maybe not worth finished product.Going to check Numrich Arms to see if they are Colt CYLs.

Horse Gunner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts