Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
If I recall, Fitzgerald's original modifications were done on the New Service in .45 Colt. He carried a pair of these. Cam or others will correct me if I'm wrong.
PS. It's probably in such good condition because the original owner shot it once and said DAYUM!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Just an observation: Since the Fitz mods were made to make the revolver lighter and quicker to put into action, one would think that he would've removed the lanyard swivel to remove weight and make it less apt to snag, especially on this massive firearm.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,670 Posts
Fitzgerald was a huge man with catchers mitt size hands.
He carried one or two .45 Colt New Service models he'd converted in his pants pockets.
Some say he carried in the hip pockets some in the front.
I've also read that like a number of gunmen he had his pants pockets lined with stiff waxed canvas to insure the gun didn't hang up in the cloth.
Men's pants pockets were much larger back then.

Fitz was so big a New Service looked like a Detective Special in a normal sized man's hand.

This Fitz model is unusual in that the Colt Verified Proof stamp is on the right-rear of the trigger guard, and the top of the hammer is not checkered, in addition to the lanyard loop.
Obviously, someone ordered it this way.

I wonder if Fitzgerald converted this one himself or it was done by Colt employees.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
This is as close as I can get to a FITZ'd gun.....this DS started life as a WWII shipped gun then someone worked it over...modified front sight, bobbed hammer with checkering, rounded the grip frame, shortened it too, and obviously gave it the cutaway treatment...it was in need of some love when I acquired it so I had it engraved and nickeled .....who ever did the original work certainly knew what he was doing.....RR

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I am watching it closely. I have several Fitzes, but no New Service. Might be spending a big chunk of money next weekend. And I need a Fitz New Service to go with my uncut 2” New Service. All real bidding happens in the last 20 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am watching it closely. I have several Fitzes, but no New Service. Might be spending a big chunk of money next weekend. And I need a Fitz New Service to go with my uncut 2” New Service. All real bidding happens in the last 20 minutes.
Be interesting to see if it goes at a Winston price.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Be interesting to see if it goes at a Winston price.

It was on Gunbroker for months last year at $30K and later was reduced by several thousand. It found no takers, so I doubt anyone has appetite to take it past $25K. I am listing about $20K in guns on Gunbroker this weekend, so I am hoping for an even “trade”.

And as far as “winston” prices go, it’s because 9 times out of 10 I pay those “winston” prices, on occasion (such as this one) I can afford to pay market for something I really want. :)

Will see. If someone wants to bid it up to insane level, they can have it. I am in the game for reasonable retail.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I need to look at it on my desktop, the condition for the age makes one wonder ... Well me anyway

I just went in and notched the auction up a little. Sometimes a good game of chicken is the right thing to do. No “stealing” this one at the last moment with all the eyes on it.

As far as condition, looks 100% good to me. And knowing it’s coming from Tom K. makes me even more certain it’s good. My New Service snub was made in 1924 and is in equally great original condition. I am only the third owner since WWII (not counting the guy who inherited and sold it).

At this point we are seeing dealers bid on it since at the level it’s at a profit can be made. While I am technically a dealer, I would be buying this one to keep, so I can afford to pay more than someone looking to resell. I think where it goes will depend whether more real collectors step into the auction or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
THAT is a seriously cool gun Winston, good luck- I hope you get it!
Thanks! It was newly discovered in 2019 and happens to be the earliest factory New Service 2” known. It walked into a gun shop on consignment in Chicago area. I had to fight a few people for it, but it didn’t have the market visibility of this Fitz.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts