Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a source for a mould for the original style (round nose, not flat point for lever actions) lead bullet for the .45 Colt?

Rio

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It is my understanding that the 45 Colt original bullet was a small flat on a conical nose. The Ideal/Lyman #454190 is a faithful rendition of that bullet. If you are looking at military issue ammunition from the Indian Wars time period you will find that much of the issue was the shorter, lighter 45 S&W with the 230 grain RN bullet. The 45 S&W was compatible with the S&W revolvers furnished to some units and worked well in Colts. It simplified a logistics problem of not having to supply two different ammunition types for issue hand guns. Civilian Colts probably used the original 45 Colt ammunition much more faithfully than did our Government procurement officers of the day.
The Lyman 454190 mold is still in production today, I use one with some regularity. Mine drops a little heavy, but that's ok by me.

Reactions: Thos

·
Registered
813 Posts
Rio the 454190 is all I shoot. I cast my own and they shoot great out of my 3rd generaton. Keep in mind that they are .454 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys but these are not for shooting. The Western re-enactors over here like to put dummies in their gunbelts and I want something like this:

Bullet Ammunition Gun accessory

Rio

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The RN bullet in the picture looks NOTHING like the original 45COLT projectile. A handful of the currect production Remington 250gr LFN bullets will solve the problem perfectly. I do have to wonder about carrying dummy ammunition in your gunbelt though as it borders upon the silly. You can damnwell bet there are no dummy rounds in my gunbelts and I wear 'em every day.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
The RN bullet in the picture looks NOTHING like the original 45COLT projectile. A handful of the currect production Remington 250gr LFN bullets will solve the problem perfectly. I do have to wonder about carrying dummy ammunition in your gunbelt though as it borders upon the silly. You can damnwell bet there are no dummy rounds in my gunbelts and I wear 'em every day.
The reason that Rio needs dummy rounds is that live one's are more than likely ILLEGAL in the U.K. Or, if legal, would require paperwork and license's that would make you and I shudder.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The reason that Rio needs dummy rounds is that live one's are more than likely ILLEGAL in the U.K. Or, if legal, would require paperwork and license's that would make you and I shudder.
OH MY.....I did not notice that importent fact, Mr Chaffee. I cannot imagine living in a place like that. Just think, we had to kick the Englishters and their gummit outta here for identically the same thing, messing with our guns and ammunition.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Military production of the original .45 "Colt's Revolver" cartridge was halted in mid 1874, and the "Revolver Ball Cartridge, Cal. .45" which was originally issued for the S&W became standard.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wil, I'm pleased for you that you are allowed to walk around with live ammunition in your gun belt and that you can carry a firearm to use said ammunition. Rest assured that you have the envy of every handgun shooter in the UK who had their pistols confiscated in 1997. I sincerely hope that the same thing never happens to you and that the only way that you can have a Colt SAA or clone is in the shape of a blank firing version or one that has been de-activated. Maybe then you would realise that neither mocking nor sympathy is much consolation. Enjoy your shooting my friend, and I mean that in all sincerity, and remember the poor souls who you kicked outta there a couple of hundred years back. Why on earth you didn't chase us all the way back over here and conquer England I cannot imagine. If you had then maybe I'd be an American citizen sharing you freedom! ;)

Rio

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Wil, I'm pleased for you that you are allowed to walk around with live ammunition in your gun belt and that you can carry a firearm to use said ammunition. Rest assured that you have the envy of every handgun shooter in the UK who had their pistols confiscated in 1997. I sincerely hope that the same thing never happens to you and that the only way that you can have a Colt SAA or clone is in the shape of a blank firing version or one that has been de-activated. Maybe then you would realise that neither mocking nor sympathy is much consolation. Enjoy your shooting my friend, and I mean that in all sincerity, and remember the poor souls who you kicked outta there a couple of hundred years back. Why on earth you didn't chase us all the way back over here and conquer England I cannot imagine. If you had then maybe I'd be an American citizen sharing you freedom! ;)

Rio
THIS IS MIGHTY PROFOUND and I am still stunned that your gov't would confiscate legally owned guns from citizens of your country. And also to toss in the Channel all the guns we sent you to help guard against the Nazi hoards crossing that Channel after the Blitz. Holy smokes !!!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe "confiscated" was a little strong - they did pay compensation, but not as much as the guns were worth. Just out of interest this is what I gave up.

Revolver

Rio

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
All in England were not lucky enough to have the wherewithal of Dr. Geoffrey Sturgess who simply packed his gun collection and moved it to Switzerland rather than have it deactivated. The sheer stupidity of the law was that some of the pistols were one of a kind prototypes.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not everything that was handed in was destroyed. I was asked to give a second valuation for compensation on 4 Colt SAA revolvers (the police had not accepted the first one). Those pistols turned up at the local gun dealer in cardboard boxes, each one marked "Do not destroy - for museum purchase" - or words to that effect. There was also talk that some of the Glock pistols would be "transferred" to police forces for their own use.

Rio

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
The round nose .45 Colt shown appears to be a late style case with the extra machining to give it a wider rim that works in the lever action arms.

The photo shows a nickel case Rem-UMC load with the old style case and the conical bullet with flat nose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.