Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question but can a .45 colt be fired from a .45-70 rifle? I know there would be feeding problems from a lever action and problems ejecting the spent round. These thoughts come to my head sometimes and you never learn unless you ask.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
No, a 45 colt bullet is .452 diameter and a 45-70 is .457 or larger in bullet size. The case of the 45 colt would not seal well at all.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
On the surface, to the uninitiated, it seems a lot of calibers (I mean the diameter of the bullet) are the same. But in actuality, they are often quite different from the cartridges Name. For example, the .38-40 is not at all a 38, it's actually a 40. But Winchester wanted to call it a 38, so they did. A .32-20 has a different sized bullet than most other 32s, several different diameter ".30 Caliber" rifle diameters exist, etc, etc. It's actually pretty uncommon to have two rounds that sound the same (32 xyz, 44 abc) be the same diameter. And there are very few guns that will safely fire two different cartridges, and usually one or both will suffer in the accuracy department. The 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 22 Long Rifle will all shoot at least one correct shorter cartridges.

Many guns have been damaged in the past up to today, by people trying to shoot the wrong ammo.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If Winchester had come up with the .45 Colt Cartridge, they would have called it the .45-40.

And if originating with Winchester, the .38 Special would have been called, the .38-21.

Lol...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Number One in firearms: NEVER take what you read as being true! The names of cartridges quite often have absolutely nothing to do with the actual size of the bullet.............

Cartridges were named various things because of various reasons; none having anything to do with the actual measurements of the bullets....................

For instance: The original THIRTY-EIGHT SPECIAL (.38 S&W Special) has nothing to do with the numbers 38................

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Number One in firearms: NEVER take what you read as being true! The names of cartridges quite often have absolutely nothing to do with the actual size of the bullet.............

Cartridges were named various things because of various reasons; none having anything to do with the actual measurements of the bullets....................

For instance: The original THIRTY-EIGHT SPECIAL (.38 S&W Special) has nothing to do with the numbers 38................

You mean, the '9x29R'?

( Lol...)

I think the "38" designation had come about in reference to the earlier Heeled Bullets of the .38 Colt, with it's Bullet having originally been the same diameter as the Cartridge Case, which was on about .379 or maybe .380 of an inch.

Later, when the .38 Long Colt Cartridge was changed to have a smaller, inside-Lube Bullet, the Cartridge Case of course remained the same, and, that then was the 'Parent Case' for the .38 S & W Special, which simply continued the use of the term ".38" since by then everyone was familiar and comfortable with the designation, ( even though the latter stage .38 Long Colt and the subsequent .38 S & W Special Bullets, were and remain, more like .357 of an inch or there-abouts ).

The ".45-70" may also be called, the 11.6x64.8R I suppose!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts