Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen: I'm interested in hearing suggestions as to which .45 auto is suitable to carry concealed and how to do so. I tried a full-size Gov't once upon a time and found it too large and heavy. I'm aguainted with the LW Commander and like what I see. Is it small and lioght enough? Suggestions? (Holster has gopt to go on rather short, rather rotund, middle-aged gent with rather large belly! Santa has decided to start packin'!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am 6' 1" and 250lbs. I carry a TRS full size 1911 comfortably. The lightweight Commander length guns are about6-8ozs lighter BUT, they are almost the same size as a standard(barrel is 4 3/4 vs 5 inch). The frames are the same. The key is a good belt and holster. With proper ones you can carry just about anything.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I'm sure you're absolutely right about the belt and holster. But, I'm ashamed to admit, while I've owned many guns and even shot some decent scores and carried a gun for duty, I don't think I've EVER owned a decent holster nor belt - except the duty rig and that's debateable. I'll bear your advice in mind, Sir and thank you. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Shear:
I am 6' 1" and 250lbs. I carry a TRS full size 1911 comfortably. The lightweight Commander length guns are about6-8ozs lighter BUT, they are almost the same size as a standard(barrel is 4 3/4 vs 5 inch). The frames are the same. The key is a good belt and holster. With proper ones you can carry just about anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
95 Posts
The hardest part to conceal is the grip. The Government model and Commanders have the same grip, designed for the standard 7 round magazine. The Officers ACP, Defender and CCO all have a grip that is one round shorter and easier to hide. Of the three, the CCO, which is an Officers ACP frame with a Commander slide is probably the best compromise between concealability and reliability. 1911's with barrels and slides shorter than 4 3/4 inches sometimes have reliability issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carry a Combat Commander on a regular basis...even here in the Texas summer... never have a problem with concealment....

FWIW

Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts