Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.45 ID\'s?

Help me out here, fella's ... I'd like to buy a new Colt or a nice used one in .45 or .38 super, maybe? Don't know ANYTHING about .38 supers but they sound interesting? Accuracy? I'm told of poor bullet headspacing? There's so many .45's running around, I can't keep 'em straight. Last I knew, the Series 70's bragged about a new collet bushing. Good? Worth it? Better to go post war? Pre-war? GI? What have they got these days, current? Series '80's, I see ... what's that? 1911AI and 1911's, GI spec, new? What the hey? Over?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: .45 ID\'s?

A lot of choices out there these days, you could go used or Colt is making many fine new guns these days. You can call Colt directly and get the new catalog at 1-800-962-2658 and see if there is anything you like. I prefer .45s myself, my only experience with .38 super was not a good one but I know many people with supers that are very happy with them...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Will do, 45 Man. Thanks. I've owned a WWI service pistol that I thought was terrific. And a custom target job from the then pistol coach/gunsmith at the US Military Academy at West Point. It shot much better than I ever will. I had to trade it off when I took a police job and was required to carry a revolver. So, these days ... I'm starting over. I'll make a call and see what comes up. Thanks, again! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 45automaticman:
A lot of choices out there these days, you could go used or Colt is making many fine new guns these days. You can call Colt directly and get the new catalog at 1-800-962-2658 and see if there is anything you like. I prefer .45s myself, my only experience with .38 super was not a good one but I know many people with supers that are very happy with them...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
18 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Accuracy? I'm told of poor bullet headspacing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colt initially tried to use the case rim to headspace the cartridge in the barrel. Due to production tolerances, and the lack of a true rim like a revolver, the headspacing tended to vary quite a bit. In 1988 Colt changed the headspacing to the case mouth so accuracy then was on par with the other cartridges. If you're looking at used Supers I suppose it would be good to know its production era although you could always re-barrel if one of the earlier ones struck your fancy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold Last I knew, the Series 70's bragged about a new collet bushing. Good? Worth it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colt dropped it later and has not re-introduced it so it appears to be a wash. I understand that most enthusiasts changed them out for solid bushings fearing breakage of the fingers. Doesn't appear to have been a big issue either way so if you find one you like with it I wouldn't worry about it too much.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold
Better to go post war? Pre-war? GI?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As has been pointed out, for the most part the idea of better production periods doesn't work too well. You could have an old one that's a piece of junk and a new one that is a knockout, and vice versa. Far better to judge each one on its individual merits.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold
What have they got these days, current? Series '80's, I see ... what's that? 1911AI and 1911's, GI spec, new? What the hey? Over?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Series 70= No firing pin interlock
Series 80= Firing pin interlock

The Series 80's are not usually appreciated as most feel that the have excessive trigger creep due to the interlock. This isn't much of an issue with production guns as the firing pin spring is quite stout and IIRC it takes something like a 20ft drop straight on the muzzle to get a discharge from firing pin inertia.

Race guns OTOH could theoretically have an issue as frequently main spring pressure is cut to improve trigger feel and cycling with light competition loads. This can lead to light primer strikes with production firing pin springs so the FP spring pressure is cut too. Of course due to the trigger feel issue the Series 80 isn't preferred for competition so this is another item that appears to be a wash.

The most obvious difference between the 1911 and the A1 is the finger cut outs in the frame just behind the trigger. there are a couple other items but thats the big one in my eyes. Look at the pics of the WWI repro on Colt's site and compare to the 1911's and you'll see the difference.

HTH

[This message has been edited by Parker Dean (edited 09-21-2003).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts