Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Now,if I'd seen one in that configuration,back when they were introduced,I might've bought it!! As it was,I was so PO'd at Colt for not making a New Service "clone",in blue,I got turned off. Yes,I would've even paid "Python level" prices for a "new" New Service!

I think we had a thread(s) here,a while back,on the 4" .45 Colt. Bryan Pearce,in "Handloader",commented on how rare the 4" .45 Colts were.

You now have a piece that is attractive and yet can handle "Contender Level" loads unlike the "25" series S&Ws.

A great find,and the wooden stocks look much better,than the "rubbers" that seem to adorn nearly every "big snake" I've ever seen! Bud

·
Registered
32 Posts
Virginian, If you will go to the Colt Factory Web Site you will see that the Factory refers to the caliber as "Long Colt." Modern usage has become the rule rather than the exception. http://www.colt.com/CMCI/revolver.asp
I know that there are purist that resist change, me included, I jusy found that it was easier and one less un-winable battle to fight and in the final analysis...it really doesn't matter....yashua

·
Registered
153 Posts
If there's a 45 Long Colt does that mean there's a 45 Short Colt ?.
IP

Originally posted by yashua-p:
Virginian, If you will go to the Colt Factory Web Site you will see that the Factory refers to the caliber as "Long Colt." Modern usage has become the rule rather than the exception. http://www.colt.com/CMCI/revolver.asp
I know that there are purist that resist change, me included, I jusy found that it was easier and one less un-winable battle to fight and in the final analysis...it really doesn't matter....yashua

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 03-15-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Awwww, you beat me to it. I'm waiting on a set of stocks exactly like yours to put on my new baby. We will now have twins.

Thanks for the heads up as my search is finally over.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 03-16-2005).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, there is a 45 Short Colt.

First there was the 45 Colt in the SAA.

Then there was the 45 Smith & Wesson, nicknamed the 45 Schofield. Shorter than the 45 Colt and with a wider rim for the star extracter on the S&W Schofield revolver.

Then the army had a headache, as the wider rim allowed only three of the 45 Schofield cartridges to be chambered in the SAA. So came the 45 Government, with the case length of the Schofield and the 45 Colt rim, at the slight risk of getting under the extracter in the Schofield. This cartridge was nicknamed the 45 Short Colt and was so designated on the label of some commercial or civilian loadings.

Next came the 1909 Colt 45, with a wide rim like the Schofield and a case about 0.010 inch longer than the 45 Colt.

Next came the 45 ACP which in its earliest version was meant to duplicate the ballistics of the 45 Government.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bill A: I couldn't agree more, just because something becomes fashionable, doesn't mean it is correct. In our language now, if you ask someone how they are doing? They will incorrectly reply, I'm doing good or I'm good, which is about as pleasant to me as a fork on a chalk board. The correct reply is I am doing WELL or I am fine. Same with .45 Colt, just because someone wants to apply a description to a name "long", doesn't change it's name. It is correctly called .45 Colt, not .45 Long Colt and yes, the current crop of boneheads at Colt can be wrong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very, very, good. Now there's a man that knows his stuff.
IP

Yes, there is a 45 Short Colt.

First there was the 45 Colt in the SAA.

Then there was the 45 Smith & Wesson, nicknamed the 45 Schofield. Shorter than the 45 Colt and with a wider rim for the star extracter on the S&W Schofield revolver.

Then the army had a headache, as the wider rim allowed only three of the 45 Schofield cartridges to be chambered in the SAA. So came the 45 Government, with the case length of the Schofield and the 45 Colt rim, at the slight risk of getting under the extracter in the Schofield. This cartridge was nicknamed the 45 Short Colt and was so designated on the label of some commercial or civilian loadings.

Next came the 1909 Colt 45, with a wide rim like the Schofield and a case about 0.010 inch longer than the 45 Colt.

Next came the 45 ACP which in its earliest version was meant to duplicate the ballistics of the 45 Government.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no issues with folks wanting to call the caliber by the original name, 45 Colt. Besides, all one has to do is look on the barrel of this fine revolver to see it says 45 Colt. And if I look at my box of Remmingtom ammo, I find it says 45 Colt. My old reference books also support the name 45 Colt.

But because someone uses the term Long Colt does not make them a beginner or a bonehead.

yashua-p really said it best "it really doesn't matter." In fact when you scroll down and look at the photos, you will see that Colt has been using the vulgar term for at least 14 years! It doesn't matter if some one likes the term or not. It exists.

This hobby is steeped in tradition. The evolution of tradition including terminology clearly and understandably will evoke emotions such as we have heard. Resistance to change is every bit as natural as change itself.

Interesting that 2 words got more attention and or comments than my gun.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 03-16-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kennedy, I picked this up about a year ago. I didn't know you were interested in one. Now that I do know I will keep an eye open for you. If your e-mail is in your profile, I'll let you know when I see one. I love helping other people spend money!

You may have picked up on what Majic said. I knew he was looking for one from reading in some of his other posts. So any time I ran across one I tried to let him know.

He jokingly accused me of trying to get him deeper in debt. Maybe so.

Majic, you never told me until now that you actually bought one. You were going to surprise us with photos later, weren't you? I will admit I was trying to "flush you out" by posting the photo or if nothing else re-ignite some interest in this particular gun.

Worked as designed.......for the most part!

·
Registered
88 Posts
very nice .

i was at a show this year and a dealer had one he wanted $1300 for it and he had a 2.5 inch python for the same.
i left with a 8 inch 44 anaconda.
i knew the 45 was rear but i went for the 44 for a range gun and it is a real good shooter and i got it for much less .

was that a good price for a 4 inch 45?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
.45 Service Revolver Cartridges.

This thread is a couple of years old; but here is a small display of the .45 ammo used by the Army up to the point of the 1909 ammo. As pointed out earlier the 1909 cylinder would not take a full load because of the rim size so a new cartridge was designed for the 1909 with a smaller rim allowing a full cylinder to be loaded. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts