Colt Forum banner

What caliber engraved gun would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to have gun engraved. I have a choice of a 45 or a 44 as the base gun. It is a gun I'll enjoy staring at, shoot some or a lot and eventually some years down the road, suspect I'll sell or my wife will.

I like the 44 for a number of reasons the biggest being that it is less likely to have problems shooting. No bulged cylinders. And I can have a 44-40 cylinder made up at the same time as it is engraved for dual caliber gun.

The 45 I'd have a spare 45 Colt cylinder made up just to be safe and keep the gun running if their is a problem down the road. Likely wouldn't have a 45acp cylinder engraved but could for a dual caliber gun.

If you had the choice of buying a engraved gun, same guns and engraving, same price, just different calibers, 44 or 45 as described, which one would be your pick?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would go 45. I am a little partial to that round (got me into reloading and casting my own bullets), but I also feel they have such a strong pull to me...as part of our nation's identity. 255 gr. lrn!!!!! Amen!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
To me...i would do a 44 special...but love 45 long colt too....either way it is a win...

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would get a .44-40 with a .44 Special cylinder ;)

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
My 45 ACP Gold Cup can’t shoot 44 Spcl. LOL
Thats why this is it for me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
44-40 only, BP frame, 7 1/2" barrel, etched panel, C level engraving, old style nickel, plain American Holly white grips. Oh yeah, matched pair.:cool:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I voted for the 45 Colt with the 45 acp extra cylinder. While I really love the 44 special I tend to shoot the 45 more. Hard choice and I am glad the op is making the choice and not me.:bang_wall:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
44-40 only, BP frame, 7 1/2" barrel, etched panel, C level engraving, old style nickel, plain American Holly white grips. Oh yeah, matched pair.:cool:
7 1/2" guns!? I didn't know they would engrave such a thing :)

This is a pair of consecutive numbered guns that I fit one piece ivory to 10 years ago. Final finish will be antique nickel.

I am kinda surprised at just how many folks are voting for the .44. This barrel keeps getting passed around because the caliber mark is so big and difficult to engrave around. If not this time around at some point it will be a project.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I like .45 single actions a lot...but realized that I have more .44-40 single actions in the safe.
I would vote for 44-40 and leave the .44 Special cylinder in the safe.

And for the other decision: Maryanne to take home and meet the family...Ginger to just take home :D

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CraigC said:
I'd do it right and either have a .357 rechambered, or a new cylinder made from scratch with minimum spec, linebored chambers.
Already done. One reason I'd have a hard time changing one of the 45s to a 44 Special. But I like how you think!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts