Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, I'm out of my .45 Winchester FMJ bullets for my .45 ACP reloads but have a supply of .452 lead RNFP bullets boxed up that read for ..45 Colt Cowboy.

I've conducted a forum site search and older posts indicate these are OK for my reloads for my 45 caliber Colt Government Model and Commander.

looking for confirmation that this is correct or word from folks who use this bullet.

Respectfully, Bill

·
Premium Member
5,985 Posts
Essentially your only concern is if it feeds in your 1911. Your factory govt. model and commander should have the extra relieve area for wadcutter type bullets and should allow this bullet as well to work fine. .452 diameter lead bullets sometime bulge some thicker cases. A starting load of any lead bullet 195-200 grain bullet will be fine and work up from there. You can load a couple of “dummy” rounds and check for feeding. Use no primer or powder and when your done, us a bullet puller to reclaim the bullet and case. The good thing about loading for a 1911 is the barrel itself works as cartridge gauge. If the final round drops in, it’s good.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Essentially your only concern is if it feeds in your 1911. Your factory govt. model and commander should have the extra relieve area for wadcutter type bullets and should allow this bullet as well to work fine. .452 diameter lead bullets sometime bulge some thicker cases. A starting load of any lead bullet 195-200 grain bullet will be fine and work up from there. You can load a couple of “dummy” rounds and check for feeding. Use no primer or powder and when your done, us a bullet bullet to reclaim the bullet and case. The good thing about loading for a 1911 is the barrel itself works as cartridge gauge. If the final round drops in, it’s good.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply. I'll load a couple of dummy rounds and try the plop test in my barrel. What a great forum.

·
Premium Member
5,985 Posts
Before I got a cartridge case gauge for my reloads, I took my colt gold cup barrel out of the gun and used it as a gauge for my sub gun ammo. Then have the gun fully assembled and have the slide all the way back to the slide stop. Then release the slide with dummy cartridges in the magazine. If it goes into battery ( meaning the trigger will drop the hammer), you should be good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I size all .45 ACP cast bullets to .452" and use Winchester brass. The bullets don't bulge the case and work fine. However, I've tried .451" bullets. My results from an accuracy standpoint were pretty much inconclusive. They seemed to work as well as .452" bullets, but no better.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rockquarry. I see you are a 2005 member. That is a while back 😀 I've got a good bit of Winchester brass and look forward to loading them.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The only thing you should be aware of is that some pistols (Glock, Sig, etc) use polygonal rifling. I doesn't like lead bullets very much and using lead will cause the barrel to "lead up" quickly. On regular "lands and grooves" type rifling the lead bullets should work ok. I have a 45ACP Smith and Wesson revolver that gobbles up the lead bullets without any issues. Have not tried them in my Sig P220 yet but it is old enough to be pre polygonal type rifling. Good luck!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the additional guidance. Sadly I'm unable to find a non-threaded G21 Lone Wolf barrel so far. But keeping searching. Respectfully, Bill

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sure, load & shoot them. What powder are you using?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Skip the Unique & use the Bullseye. The classic Camp Perry 25 yard accuracy load for 200 grain bullets in a 45acp case is 4.0 grains of Bullseye.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Skip the Unique & use the Bullseye. The classic Camp Perry 25 yard accuracy load for 200 grain bullets in a 45acp case is 4.0 grains of Bullseye.
Thank you for the recommendation. I've used that load before and works great. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Thanks for all the additional guidance. Sadly I'm unable to find a non-threaded G21 Lone Wolf barrel so far. But keeping searching. Respectfully, Bill
Where are you seeing those threaded barrels? Everywhere I check is out of stock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where are you seeing those threaded barrels? Everywhere I check is out of stock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
i was checking Optics Planet for a G21 Lone Wolf non-threaded but all they had in stock were threaded. Yesterday I rechecked and they only had un-threaded for sale and the threaded now on back order. i ordered a unthreaded. Just checked and now all back ordered. Seems they change daily. I had no luck on many sites Like your experience. Frustrating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts