Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired about 150 RDs of R P 455 Colt (the second 5 on the brass looks stamped after the fact) and about 50 RDs of Dominion 455 Colt. Don't know if these are reloads or what. They were in a bag, no boxes. Any one have any info on these cartridges? Value?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The Remington Peters .455 ammunition was likely discontinued before World War II. I'm even less familiar with the Dominion ammunition. If in the original boxes and if the boxes were sound, it'd probably take 50 bucks per box to purchase them. A gun show cartridge peddler might give $5 to $10 for the lot unboxed. He'd then sell them by the piece to cartridge collectors for $1.50 or so. I'd be more interested in them in their present unboxed state for the cartridge case. Due to their age they might not last too many reloads without developing cracks around the case mouths.

Look closely at them. If you see fine striations running the length of the cases or a faint ring around the base of the cases they could be reloads. Dark tarnish would partially obscure these signs. If they are reloads then a dedicated .455 shooter might wish to break them down for the components. I certainly wouldn't shoot unproven reloads in my ancient Webley.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For reference, here's three .455 factory cartridges, a new Fiocchi, and older Dominion .455 Colt, and a WWII British Military round, with a .45 ACP and a .45 AR thrown in to compare:

And here's some .455 Colt reloads with 255gr Kieth SWC bullets in .45 Colt brass turned down by Buffalo Arms Company :

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I found out quite a bit about the 455 in the last 2 days. I also found someone who has a use for them which is much better then having them sitting in my garage for 30 years. Thanks for posting those photos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts