Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I have a Colt New Service in .45 Colt that had, what I considered, oversized cylinder throats (.456), and didn't shoot worth squat with the .452 replacement barrel someone had put on it before I bought it. Soooo I found myself a .455 Eley barrel, with a good bore, polished the forcing cone a little and put it on (help from a friend/smith who knew what he was about). I think that the .455 Eley used a heavy bullet (265 gr, maybe) The chambers, of course, still take .45 Colt or .45 Schofield brass. I'll likely use the latter since my Ohause mould for the desired bullet weight has a long nose and the OAL is a tad too much with the 45 Colt brass. My query concerns the original ballistics of the .455 Eley, the nature of the bullet used (lead/alloy vs full patch/ball) caliber, and what rate of twist Colt put in the New Service barrels that they put on the New Services they manufactured for British consumption. Any historical or other information on the .455 Eley would be helpful in making up a load for this revolver and also much appreciated.

------------------
"All generalizations contain errors, including this one."

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
chumkum: First welcome to the Colt Forum,if someone hasn't said this already. Ive'been shooting & reloading for .455s (and "conversions" to .45 Colt & .45acp)for many years. A few of us(damn few)still use,but not "abuse" by "hot loading," these fine old guns and if you go to the Smith & Wesson Forum,and use the index under .455,you can find a great deal of info. That said,I can empathize with your dilema with the oversize throats & undersize .452 bbl. The .452 was used for the 1917s in .45 auto. New Services in .45 Colt & .455 Eley,used the .454 diameter. I have a "non military" 1915 New Service in .455 and its throats are .456(as are some in .45 Colt). In a nutshell,I use .455 swaged Remington 255 grains,that are hollow based and they fill the throats and are very accurate(even in S&Ws that have up to .457 bore). Don't worry about leading at the velocities you will be loading at-under 750 fps!!! You can buy these in bulk,but hard cast .454 sized bullets,or the new .454 swaged "cowboy bullets" by Hornady also work well in the New Services in .455 & .45 Colt. I know your gun is for .45 Colt,so the you won't have a problem finding .455 Eley brass,and I like your idea of using the shorter Schofield brass. Ive used this in a S&W Mk.II,converted to .45 Colt,with the Remington hollow bases over 6.5 Unique for 700-750 fps.and even with the larger throats & Smiths bore(both .457-458) I get excellent accuracy. Good Luck,and do go on the S&W Forum as there is a lot of good info on the .455s in general. Bud

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Lonewolf, for your response and the information. Off to the S&W forum I go.
Best Regards,
chumkum

------------------
"All generalizations contain errors, including this one."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts