Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cam into the ownership of a beautiful Colt. It is a 1911 Colt .455 Eley and it in Nickel. It is a beautiful gun and I am trying to find out what it may be worth. I have done some research but don't know a lot about it as of yet. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Does anyone have any information on this gem?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Does anyone have any information on this gem?
I can't tell for sure from your pictures, but I don't think this is a 1911; it is more likely a "Government Model" and that should be marked on the frame above the serial number. Does the serial number start with the letter "W" by any chance?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Well, none of these 'Thumbnails' enlarge if 'clicked' on.

What is the Serial Number? ( Last digits as "X"s is fine ).

In WWI, England had various Purchasing Agents for acquiring American Arms and may also have made purchases directly, I can not recall off hand on the latter.

Sometimes there were blocks of Serial Numbers, other times it was piece meal.

Your Colt is a Government Model ( rather then an m1911 ) which had been heavily buffed and refinished sometime along the way, and which has later or likely aftermarket Stocks.

Magazine appears to be correct.

Is the Barrel stamped ".455"?

And are there any British 'proofs' anywhere?

The "R.A.F." began in Aril of 1918 if memory serves.

I myself had supposed that most Country's WWI Aviators had usuaully carried their own private Purchase Arms, which would of course then have no Organization Stamps.

Your Pistol's serial number would allow some fairly close idea of when in what year, it had been made.

The Round Lanyard Loop on the Receiver is not Colt so far as I know, but is a nice one, and likely was installed back when.

I am not able to open any additional internet pages at the moment, to verify, but, if memory serve, the .455 Webley Automatic Cartridge was a little chubbier than the .45 ACP Cartridge, thus making for difficulty or disappointment, if trying to interchange the two.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Serial number is W104119. There areBtitish proofs and the barrel is stamped .455
"104119" would be the last weeks or so of 1918.

So, likely was not in on the 1914 1918 War.

I expect value would be around 7 or 800 tops if on Gunbroker or Auctionarms.

It might even do a little better if dePlated and just left in the white and kept Oiled...but, it has been heavily Buffed, so, all the original crispness of line is gone.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Oyeboten; The Round Lanyard Loop on the Receiver is not Colt so far as I know said:
Oyeboten,

I was told that the hook on the British lanyards would not fit on the Colt loop. So, if the pistol was to be used with a British lanyard it required that additional welded loop.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lend-Lease didn't happen until 1941.

JohnnyP is right your gun was probably sent to England between 1915 - 1919 as before 1915 they were mainly cal. .45 ACP
Many of them were used by the Brits during WWI while others were sent to other Commonwealth countries.
Too bad it was nickeled.

Best.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.