Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumped into a New Service 455 Eley with blue in near 95% Serial# 889XX, made in about 1915. Looking at GA I see the asking price is about $575, which is what the guy wants for the gun. Is this not a very desirable variation? It is on consignment so probably not much wiggle room. Guy may have got his price off GA.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have the New Service 455, but I have two S&W 455's Hand Ejectors from the same vintage in 98% condition. They too are hovering around the $500-$600 range which I feel is a bargain for the quality and history. I'd go for it, Colt's in this era keep inching up in price.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This is most likely one of the at least 50,000 New Services made for the Brits in the 1914-1916 period. The figure of 50k,is not documented,and some of us think that it may be higher, Unlike S&W,Colt did not assign a separate serial # range to the British contract pieces,

In any event,NOT many of these guns are in ORIGINAL shape, Many have been rebored etc, to ,45 Colt or .45 acp when they were reimported back here in the 50's-60's. I have also seen frames in this series(and own several) rebarrelled and recylindered to other calibers. Many have been parkerized,reblued,and even "painted" by the Brits!!

So,price seems OK IF the gun is fully original and still in .455 Caliber(my favorite shooting caliber these days!)

I was fortunate enough to buy a mint "civilian" New Service in .455 about 10 years ago.with NO British/Canadian proof marks,and only a Sheard #40 front bead sight to mar its originality.

BTW, ALL of these British Contract New Services came with hard rubber stocks and 5.5" bbls. Inside the grip frame(I forget which side) there will be an "E".denoting the English contract. Some other New Services were sold privately to Commonwealth officers,and may be with different bbl. lengths. I once ran across a 1907 New Service in .45 Colt that was carried by a Canadian officer in "the Great War".

Hope this helps,check the originality,and stop trying to "guess" how the seller arrived at their price; there are a helluva lot of sources out there(and appraisers; I even make a little "pocket change" doing this at times) besides the "online auctions!

Some of those "photos" on the auctions look great,but you can't really tell its "quality" until you get your mitts around it,and "work its action";yeah guns are like women!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
yeah guns are like women!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean noisy, hair triggers, and tough on the wallet?.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No,ohiobuckeye,what you describe,is what this old Omega Wolf calls a BI--H! A "real woman",like a fine handgun,needs to be carefully lined up on target,with the correct "hold",then slowly brought to full cock,and at the precise moment,her trigger pulled,to achieve a bullseye!!!

But,unlike shooting,the RECOIL,will be the strongest when a "bullseye" is scored!

Gawd,now you got me "thinking".Might have to stop by a "massage parlor" on the way back from a gun show today!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts