Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I saw an add for a SAA in .45LC on one of the auction sites. I was just looking not buying . . . too much dinero /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, one of them said the gun came with moon clips so you could shoot .45ACP! I guess I never thought of this before, but it would probably work. I don't know if they were special made or if clips for one of the other .45ACP revolvers would work. The only advantages I can think of are a little cheaper to shoot and the ammo is easier to find. Going further, could you also shoot the new .45 GAP if you so desired. Can't see any advantage there, but it would probably work too.

I wanted to get some other input. Whadda ya think? Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This is probably something "new" that this lover of "vintage Colts" is not aware of-BUT-1) You will have to remove the cylinder to load and eject the moon clips,as the aint gonna fit through the loading gate!!! 2)Headspsce is much greater on the .45 acp. than on the .45 Colt,so cylinder would be shorter to get this greater distance to fit the moonclip(s) in the .45 acp(or the .45 Auto Rim). Read somewhere about a new cylinder that allows you use both calibers,I think.

.45 acp "extra cylinders" are very popular for SAAs,but expensive,due to cheaper ammo,as ya said. Colt made very few of them,and I've seen those made for the Italian "clones",exceed $200 final bid on eBay. Also,I don't think "clone" cylinders willl work with 3rd Gen. Colts due to ratchet change. In any event,with a clone or aftermarket cylinder,some gunsmithing will more than likely be needed.

Again,there probably is some "new idea"(I think Ive seen them for N Frame S&Ws). I had a Ruger "Buckeye Sports" 38/40,with the extra 10mm cylinder. The 10 mms headspaced on the mouth of the cartridge being "rimless",as do the .45 acps. I just never felt that it gave consistent ignition timing as the hammer fell!

Bud

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some very good points. I guess I really can't see why anyone would go through all the trouble.

Why not just reload if you want to save money!!!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
It may not be just about saving money.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with 2 cylinders: .45 Colt and .45 ACP. While I love the old .45 Colt cartridge, the .45 ACP has many more options, all of which "feed" fine in a single action revolver.

I often carry the Ruger as my CCW and I carry it with the .45 ACP cylinder, loaded with the same 230 gr HydraShocks that I carried in my 1911 and in my S&W M625 revolver as a patrol officer. 185 gr lead SWCs make a good woods loafing load.

I would go to the range and shoot FMJ .45 ACPs that I received as "practice ammo".

A convertible single action can be a wise choice.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
A convertible single action can be a wise choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but a moonclip single action revolver is nothing but a pain in the rear end.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I wonder if the owner of the SAA on the auction site ever tried to chamber .45 ACPs without the moon clips?

I had the ACP cylinder in my Ruger modified to use .45 AutoRim. I can also drop out the cylinder & use fullmoons. The only reason to do that would be if I had a bunch of ammo already clipped and didn't want to unclip it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts