Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 95% sure I want my first SAA in .45 LC. I'm only buying a Colt because I want the real thing. The only downside is that's another caliber to buy ammo for, and potentially have to spend a couple hundred on another Dillon press set up for .45 LC if I start shooting it a lot. On the other hand, I have .38/.357 already and the reloading stuff for it. But I think I'll be disappointed it's not in a cowboy/historically correct chambering.

Maybe I should get a cheap blackhawk for .357 or .44 and get the Colt in .45....

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
If you plan on shooting it then get the one you can afford to shoot! Sounds like the .357 to me. And if you get 'cowboy nostalgic' which all SAA lovers are, pick up some 38LC brass and reload a few of those. OTOH the 45 is classic...your dilemma is common to all of us. It may actually wind up being whichever is available as they are hard to find out there right now.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Back in the eatly 1970s when a new Colt SAA was selling for $350 at the shows, I heard a dealer/collector comment that a SAA in .357 was a waste of a good frame. I have always had that in my mind and do not recall ever owning a SAA in .357. That said, I know that due to the cost of ammo and the ease in shooting that the .38spl/.357 have gained in popularity and a lot of folks like them. I remain stuck in the old west and prefer the .45 over all the rest, just because of what it is and has been. Just me....thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm 95% sure I want my first SAA in .45 LC. I'm only buying a Colt because I want the real thing. The only downside is that's another caliber to buy ammo for, and potentially have to spend a couple hundred on another Dillon press set up for .45 LC if I start shooting it a lot. On the other hand, I have .38/.357 already and the reloading stuff for it. But I think I'll be disappointed it's not in a cowboy/historically correct chambering.

Maybe I should get a cheap blackhawk for .357 or .44 and get the Colt in .45....
A New Frontier would make more sense in 357, with a long barrel. A Single Action Army, I'd pick the .45LC.
Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Get the 45LC. You can load ammo and shoot a 45 cheap as a 357. My 45 loads chrono at 900 FPS and are fun to shoot! Try some black powder loads and then you'll really be hooked!

·
Registered
865 Posts
In 1970 a local gun store got a decent assortment of SAAs in. All three standard barrel lengths, blue/case and nickeled. I was already set uo to reload both .45 and .357. I only knew that I wanted a 4 3/4" lenght. I agonized till near closing time before deciding on .357 and regretted it by the time I got home. The heft and balance just wasn't there like a .45. I sold that .357 twice times and bought it back twice. It's still here with its stagecoach box but seldom shot. It took me 19 years to finally get a 2nd generation, 4 3/4" .45 in a stagecoach box.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think the last suggestion you made was the one I would go with!...All my SAA have to be .45 It just sounds and says Cowboy to me!.....................................................M*

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
In 1970 a local gun store got a decent assortment of SAAs in. All three standard barrel lengths, blue/case and nickeled. I was already set uo to reload both .45 and .357. I only knew that I wanted a 4 3/4" lenght. I agonized till near closing time before deciding on .357 and regretted it by the time I got home. The heft and balance just wasn't there like a .45. I sold that .357 twice times and bought it back twice. It's still here with its stagecoach box but seldom shot. It took me 19 years to finally get a 2nd generation, 4 3/4" .45 in a stagecoach box.
In 1980 I bought my 1st SAA new out of the Shotgun News for around $375. I chose a 4 3/4" .357 because it was slightly cheaper. I loved shooting it, but I, too felt it was just too heavy. It didn't balance like my dad's Great Western .44 Special or my Dakota .45. So I sold it and got a .45. If you're only going to own one SAA it must be a .45, in my opinion, anyway. I still have the guy's phone number but last time I called he won't sell it back. Still have a picture of it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Single Action Army is a 45 Colt. The 45 Colt is a Single Action Army. That's how it started and how it should be! (smile)

Dave

PS: If you're talking smokeless powder frames some allowance can be made for the 44 Special. (LOL)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
If you are looking for cheaper ammo and can find one (that's the rub) a 45 ACP cylinder fitted to a SAA will give you cheap factory ammo and a 45 ACP SAR is fun as hell ( I have a Ruger that I like a lot)

.38/357 is a very versatile and useful round, ammo is cheap and everywhere- and a .357 out of a 5.5 or 7.5 inch tube is going to hit damn hard.

The Colt SAA seems to be fine for hot factory .357.

45 Colt is classic of course and great, but if it was my first Colt SAA I would get the .357.

That's in my case as I don't reload.

There is a weight and balance difference 38 vs 45, but to me its not much. and no one seems to have much concerns about SAA 32 20 handling character.

Anyway, you will probley in the future get both- once you have one. lol

And don't forget the 44 special! :)

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
If I could only have one SAA it would not be a 357 but I like one with a 7 1/2" barrel. It is sad to me that there are folks out there that want one and they are basically out of production. Because of availability you might have to consider buying what you can find.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts