Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5\" Carry

Although I am not new to Colt’s my experience has been limited to Revolvers… That being said I would like to ask your opinion(s) as to what is the best 5 inch Colt Pistol on the market is (Today) for carry and your reasoning why!!!

I ask the pro’s and con’s, the differences between the Commander, XSE, Gold Cup etc…
The Pistols are confusing to me in that a Commander for example is available in XSE, Combat and Defender and on and on¬Ö

That being said, can someone help this poor sole in picking a 5 incher for carry/protection with a degree of confidence??? I know a lot of input will be subjective; however, it will still be just as appreciated¬Ö

Dig it,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: 5\" Carry

There isn't any good answer. It is so subjective. I will give you my veiw of a carry choice. I use a Colt Compact (3.5 inch barrel and six round magazine). I am not a large person so a smaller pistol seemed good. The price was moderate (no use subjecting a high dollar gun to lots of finish wear). I installed a shorter trigger since I have short fingers. It has a ring hammer and my hands are small enough that hammer bite is no problem, so no beaver tail safety is needed. I use ball ammo so no throat job is needed. I shoot it often enough so to know it is reliable. www.1911forum.com has folks that discuss this a lot. I have 5 inch types, if they have a short trigger and are reliable then I might carry. For me, the trigger and reliability are important. One more thing is all shots must be on a paper plate at 25yds. That's how I did it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts