Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I think the story is probably true. It sure seems to all adds up. The 5" Python has been the subject of at least one previous thread. I don't think this gun is worth even close to $15,000.

FYI - Many years ago a friend of mine told me about seeing a 5" barreled Python. I figured he was mistaking a 6" barreled gun for a 5" barrel. However, he doesn't miss much when it comes to guns. Never been able to substantiate the existence of such a gun until now. Of course this is not a Colt factory original gun but it is still an interesting Python.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I happen to know a former State Militia Brigadier General who owns a 5" Colt Python.
He was a County Sheriff's Deputy when that gun was purchased.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay, I can see how you do the 8" bbl thing to the 5" by getting the vent rib to line up right...
What I am completely missing is how to make a .38 special become a .357???
Same frame?....different cylinder???

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
When Pacific International Distributors wanted to make the "California Combat" Python, they bought 8" .38 Special Colt Python Target models from Colt.

Pacific had the barrels shortened to 3" and the cylinders re-chambered to .357 Magnum by someone on the West coast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.