Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend says he has a Trooper 357 5 inch nickel 98% in box serial J4409x even has the test target that came with the gun .This would not be a Florida Highway Patrol gun,would it?Did they make 5 inch Troopers in 1970?Thanks, Lance Maurer
[email protected]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does it look like the top one in the photo below?

If it's an FHP gun it'll have an FHP number stamped on the bottom of the grip frame. Maybe it was an over run that never got sold. The J in the serial number you give makes me think the gun in question may be a newer Mark III. Is he sure it's a 5" and not a 6"? I don't think Colt ever marketed 5" Troopers to the public but they did make guns with unusual features on special order for police agencies. The gun below my FHP Trooper is a factory nickle .357 with a 4" barrel made for one of the local PD's down here in FL. Nickled revolvers were popular down here as duty guns prior to stainless coming around.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
J4409x does show as a 1970 Trooper Mark III.

The FHP famously had the ONLY 5" barreled nickel plated 357 Model revolvers ever made.

These were both the only 5" AND the only nickel 357 models ever made.

These revolvers were sold off in the late 1980's through the surplus police gun market.

I simply don't know if the FHP also later issued the Trooper Mark III, but since the Mark III also wasn't normally offered with a 5" barrel, this certainly sounds like a later version FHP revolver.

Possibly, there would be FHP markings on the gun.

Best guess is, this IS in fact a FHP revolver, since no other 5" nickel plated 357 or Mark III revolvers were made.

I seem to remember the FHP liked Colt revolvers, and used the old model 357, the Trooper, and it appears, the Trooper Mark III.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-10-2005).]

·
Registered
586 Posts
The last issued revolvers for FHP were 4" Pythons, also in nickle finish. Most of the guys down in south Fla were still carrying them when I got on with one of the city PDs down there in '86.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not seen the gun but it is a Trooper Mark III with original box J4409X,Do You think it was a special order?What would the value of this gun be, and what would it be if he sent for a factory letter?Is this really $100 for colt when only $30 for S%W?How much would this gun be worth and how much would you pay(theoretically,of course,since it has not been offered for sale,primarily since he says he has no idea what it's worth)He asked me to help with what it's worth.Not so easy.....definitely 5 inch nickel.Thanks, Lance

·
Registered
909 Posts
Some Colt letters are $100, but the Trooper, .357, DS, and many others we see postings about here are $75, with a 10% discount if you are a CCA member. I have the 2005 price list if you want to know about a specific model.

·
Registered
909 Posts
$75.00 to:
Colt Archive Properties
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT 06144-1868

Phone: 860-236-6311

10% discount for CCA members ($67.50)
Be sure to give model and serial number when requesting a letter.

Other models at $75 are: Agent, Army Special, Anaconda, Bankers Special, Border Patrol(2nd), Cobra, Commando, Detective Special, DSII, Diamondback, King Cobra, Marshal, Officer's Model, Officer's Model Match, Official Police, Pocket Positive, Police Positive, Police Positive Special, Python, .357 Magnum, Trooper.
Higher prices apply if they are engraved.

HTH, B.W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts