Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5\" NIckel FHP Trooper

There is a 5" nickel Trooper for sale here at the local gun shop. It is an FHP piece. Marked as FHP 254 on the bottom of the grip and the serial number is 39602. It has nickel front and rear sights. It is in rough condition with a fair amount of rust. The action locks up tighter than a bank vault and the timing is pretty good, a very smooth action.
It has the service stocks on it and they are really worn. Asking $300. Located at Shoot Straight Guns in Apopka, Florida if anyone interested

SteveM

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: 5\" NIckel FHP Trooper

Steve; Without seeing the gun it is hard to place a value on it. This FHP was made in 1964,and seems ALL original(although stocks varied at the whim of the officer that they were issued to).

These are rare to scarce guns,and unless it was one issued to a deskbound administrator,they saw heavy use. Few,if any books list this variation and the only reason I "spotted" one a little over a year ago,was because I knew about them from being an S&W collector also(there were "a few" nickled Highway Patrolmans bought by the FHP too).

I paid $300 for the one I have,that is in very good shape,with hardly any nickle loss,except at the butt,where the FHP number is.(made in 1966) This gun stood out in the dealers case,because of the nickle finish and mostly the 5" bbl. It was wearing "Pach Rubbers",so dealer let me remove these "to check for nickle loss/corrosion beneath them". I quickly saw the FHP butt markings,and slid the "rubber" back on. In short; he never knew what he just sold me! A retired FHP trooper had brought up here to Maine,when he moved in with his son.

Had a set of correct service stocks(and "silver" T-Grip") and correct vintage target stocks in my inventory,so it is as issued. While keeping the nickle trigger,I replaced it with a special wide spur one I had. Very smooth and accurate gun,but those nickled sights aren't for bright sunlight!

So,good luck,and these guns are sought after by BOTH Colt collectors and "Agency Marked" collectors,so $300 might not be an outrageous price after all.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 5\" NIckel FHP Trooper

The will dicker there. If anyone is interested you may be able to get it for $250 but I would start at $225 and see what happens. Let them make the first offer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts