Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a quality 50 cal Muzzleloader? Which model? It'll be used on Kansas whitetail up to 150 yards. Is new or used advised?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Go new. You never know WHY someone sells a gun, or what may be wrong.

Muzzle loaders are fairly divided into tradition "Buckskinners" rifles, and the more modern rifles based on new designs.

I think that if I was going to get into BP hunting, I'd probably go with a real quality modern type rifle like the Remington 700 ML or the Savage 10 ML.

These are based on modern bolt action rifles and will usually out shoot most anything else around.
Plus, they feel just like a bolt gun, and use the same triggers, sights, and scopes.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend at work was trying to talk me into a Thompson. Your suggestions are much better, cheaper and the Savage is even available with the accu-trigger. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you want to go traditional then Lyman has good rifles. The Great Plains is a tack driver and I've been thinking about getting a Hunter barrel (1 in 32" twist for conical bullets) for it to go a long with the roundball barrel. Now the GP may be a bit long for you, but they have a shorter rifle called the Deerstalker that shoots really well.
For both traditional and modern Thompson/Center has some very good rifles (even the Encore has a blackpowder barrel). I have a Black Diamond XR that is a very good shooter.
Like any other firearm remember to try different bullet designs and powder to find what yours like. Don't expect to drive tacks out the box. The bore needs to be seasoned first.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I also have a black diamond. Does everything I need it to do. The new thompson Omega is supposed to be very easy to take apart and clean, something that mine isn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts