Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sold one of my revs. and have the cash in pocket to buy something stupid. I have always wanted one, dont know why but I have had all kinds and thought why not:confused: This thing is heavy, the rounds are expensive, but I do handgun hunt for deer. I have a 629 that fills that bill, but I wonder. Come on guys I need input, is this the stupidest thing in the world, or is this just an impulse I can afford to scratch. I know they are a handful to shoot, but I am nearly brain dead and handle recoil very well. I do reload so I could get the cost of touching off a round down some.:bang_wall:

·
Registered
737 Posts
gruesome,I always think, my bills are paid,I don't owe any money other than monthly utilities,no one is going hungry in my house and now, I have a little extra jingle in my jeans so, why the heck not! I've gotten too old to take that much recoil anymore[my mod. 29s are getting to be too much] but 10 or 15 years ago I'd had to have a 500 just to try it out. Anyway,like the flea said when he bit the elephant in the "nether regions"," everyone to his own taste". Go for it before the milk sours! Nick

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got to find one first. I found a 4in but hes asking a new price for it. I think the 6in or longer barrels will be much more user friendly. I think I should be able to get into a used one for the 800 to 1000 range.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Buy the .460 instead, it will do everything you want it to and you have your choice of shooting 45 Colt / 454 Casull / 460.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I and a very close shooting/hunting buddy of mine used to justify anything we bought. This whatever, would suit this need and that whatever would do duty in this way or form.

It was our justification for spending money that may or may not have been spent better elsewhere. After some time went by and we had a little more expendable income we justified what we wanted simply by saying, "I bought it 'cause I wanted it!"

Be kind to yourself and treat you to a .500 Mag. Then be kind to us and show us photos! :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the itch for a 4 inch SW 500 too.

I currently have a Ruger Alaskan that shoots the 454 and it's a lot of fun too.

I made a short vid of me shooting the Ruger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJjc8jUlrU

I have zero practical use for a big revolver other than fun factor.

What has been holding me back on the SW 500 is ammo availability. I am sure that will settle down soon.

I usually can shoot my Ruger about 10 times then I put it away. I am sure the SW will be about 3-4 times. :cool:

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about the 460, but I want the 500 for the novelty of it and it can be loaded down, and I will reload for it. I am going to have to get on top of the pics. thing I am so ashamed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have one, and bought it for the same reasons. It really isn't practical unless you live in or are traveling through bear country (then why not carry a bear rifle), or handgun for hogs. It is really the size of a cartoon revolver. The ports work better than any I've ever shot. The recoil comes straight back with very little rise.

It's sort of the exception to the way I reload. I want the recoil to be brutal, because it's simply more fun that way. I do max it out and make the hottest loads for it within spec, because when you go to shoot with your buddies everyone wants to shoot it, and you want them to get a full measure of the power. The good thing is that it's so fatiguing to shoot you won't run through a bunch of ammo. I think about a hundred rounds is the most I've ever shot through it at one sitting (right when I got it) and I felt it the next day in my wrist, elbow, and shoulder.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I can understand you wanting a .500 Mag just for the uniqueness, but for actual use, I think I would prefer a .460 Mag myself. There's something about a gun for which the "intermediate" load is a .454 Casul. In reality, I would probably get a .454 Ruger Alaskan for those camping trips into brown bear country.

Of course, if you wanted to stay true to your Colt heritage, you could get one of these: :rolleyes:

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Vintage advertisement

Buck

Reactions: gruesome

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got to have the 500. The man with the 4in called me back but wont budge on the price. Its never been fired, but I think I can beat 1250 for another.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I kind of agree with the .460 crowd, but it's not about what I want!! Go for it! I also believe that a 6in barrel would be better for critter hunting.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you have the money and the hankering for it DO IT.Shortly after you get it you might change your screen name to bruisedsome.D*

Reactions: gruesome

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am a recoil junkie. I had two of the 460 S&W magnums, one with the 5" barrel and one with the 8 3/8" barrel. They were fun to shoot and I carried the 5" in brown bear country with two speed loaders. I sold it after I retired and wasn't working in brown bear country. An acquaintance shot a white-tail deer at around thirty yards with his 460. The round entered the left front chest and exited the right rear end. It dropped in a heap. He said it was like picking up a bag of Jell-O. The meat was completely ruined. He said never again. They are better for elk or moose hunting. I sold my 8 3/8” 460XVR recently, but I still have my Desert Eagle 50 AE.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know that the 460 would be more practical, but the novelty and cool factor is there in the 500. Great googley moogley I got to have it

·
Registered
419 Posts
bought a new 500 6 or 8" Smith for a customer a couple weeks back off GB for a grand. so they're out there. good luck in the search.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found one in indiana last night for 900, sent the guy a text and told him to call me, he wrote back and said he was shy on the phone, we went back and forth trying to set up a meeting he said that he couldnt cross into kentucky to sell the gun as that was illegal, I dont know, but the more it went on the more something aint right, and its a long drive even on my harley, prob 65.00 worth of gas and a day shot. I found an 8in one new for 1139.00 that is 40 miles from home not 220. Oh I live in TN so it would have been a long ride and I could work an extra day and make up the difference.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Found one in indiana last night for 900, sent the guy a text and told him to call me, he wrote back and said he was shy on the phone, we went back and forth trying to set up a meeting he said that he couldnt cross into kentucky to sell the gun as that was illegal, I dont know, but the more it went on the more something aint right, and its a long drive even on my harley, prob 65.00 worth of gas and a day shot. I found an 8in one new for 1139.00 that is 40 miles from home not 220. Oh I live in TN so it would have been a long ride and I could work an extra day and make up the difference.
"Shy on the phone"?? Shy away from that bird.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did shy away from him and went this morning and purchased the most overthe top handgun i have ever picked up 83/8 500 mag [email protected] Now to find ammo and go to the lease and shoot this thing. Reports will com e I am giddy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts