Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50\'s nickel Python

I seen a nickel 6" Python that was nickel.This is one of the earliest nickel Python I ever seen,,or heard of,,,wondered if I could get a "They made em" from someone who might know.It had the hollow lug and was a 4 digit serial number.Just from short time I held it I was amazed how good it looked.The rear sight was nickel,which would have been correct,,,but no Colt letter and or a box for the gun.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: 50\'s nickel Python

Look for the letter N in (caps) stamped on the grip frame under the left grip. Every one of my Colt factory nickel guns are marked in such a fashion.

I can't say for certain that an early Python with factory nickel is stamped this way, but if it has the N I'd be convinced it was delivered from the factory in nickel.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts

I do not have my Python finish notes at hand, but I suspect the gun is not original nickel, since I seem to recall that nickel was not offered as a factory finish until into the 1960s. Only a factory letter will tell. Get a guarantee that the gun will letter, and negotiate what will happen if it does not, perhaps using an escrow agent to hold money dependent on the outcome.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I met the owner today at the show.I mentioned to him that it should have a N under the grips.I could tell from his hesitation then "yea it does".I'll bet ya $10 now that he didn't know because this is the same person who ended up with the low serial numbered Python that Kevin had last year.It made the circle,as some guns do at gun shows,and this person got it.

Well anyway the owner had put on "Officers Model Match" full checkered grips and first told me that it was all original.I mentioned the grips,,"yes they're original,as far as I know".then I told him about the medalions and he fessed up.
My guess is he'll pull it out and sell it to someone at a big gun show and it'll become an hearlome looking for another home,,,he he....

Lesson I guess lots of us need to know.Knowledge,and more knowledge will help you from screwing up.But I'm as guilty as anyone else.I still have my fingers crossed on my 1934 DS.But if it's not original it's not original,either enjoy it as is or try to pass it on.(But I'll be damned if I let those ivory grips go),just kidding,as of right now I plan on keeping the DS for awhile.I got,and have had,some neat guns,and that DS ranks right up there at the top,,el cheapo or not.

PS..I wasn't wanting to buy the Python.I didn't ask his price,but am sure it would have been awfully high...just curious

1 - 4 of 4 Posts