Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6\" 22 cal Diamondback questions ?

Hello boys,
In going through my safe I found 2 Diamondbacks with very similar serial numbers, yet different sights.
Both are "S" serial numbered guns, both are 22 cal minty 6 inchers and one has black front & rear sights, while the other is White outline rear with Orange insert front.
Was this an option through Colt ?
Was this the time in which Colt switched over ?
I don't remember seeing a lot of D-backs with Orange insert sights. Is this just me ?
Do you guys have Orange insert sights on your D-backs, if so, what years are they ?

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: 6\" 22 cal Diamondback questions ?

I have several "S" serial numbered DB's (only one of which is a 22) but none of them have an orange insert front sight.

What is the DOM of your DB with orange insert?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

I am not aware that Colt offered anything other than the black front sight. None of mine have them. I will have to dig out some of mine and look at the rear sight. These sound like after market sights. I have seen hundreds at shows and have never seen one outfitted with the orange front sight.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

Cannot confirm they were sold that way, but for a time, Colt offered a kit to change sights to white outline. They're rare, but I've seen one or two kits come up on the auction sites. Could possibly be factory installed, or added later by the owner.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My serial number on the Orange/White outline version is S71***.
I believe that it's a 1981 birth date.
These sights look identical to the other all black sights except with the outline&insert. They look to be factory fresh. I'll get a pic or 2 up later today when the sun comes up.
Does anyone have a serial number that is later than that ?
If so, what sights do you have.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
794 Posts

Jeff, I also have an S71XXX DB in 22, and I believe it dates to 1979. My DB sights do not have inserts.

The reason I asked the DOM was to determine if the red/orange insert was even in use at the time your gun was made. My thinking was that if your DB was a late gun, it may have been possible to have those sights installed by the factory. But that would just have been a guess.

As far as I know the front sights with the insert was available on some guns like the Python as early as 1981. But they were not yet standard equipment at that time.

Since I believe your gun to be a 1979, which predates the use of the insert sights, I don't think your DB came that way from the factory. But I'll be the 1st to tell you, this is speculation on my part.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hhhhmmmmmm....

Now I'm more confused.
I thought the S71*** D-backs were 1981 models.
Ohhh boy.

Jeff (GUN-FUSED)

·
Registered
794 Posts

Well now I'm as confused as you are! I called Colt again on the S71XXX S/N and this time Cindy says 1980. When I had called years ago they had told me 1979. It is possible they get confused on if the S/N starts at the beginning of the year or if the S/N ends the year. This may be why I got 2 different answers.

At any rate Gun-Fused, you aren't the only one now! So now I have to go change my data base to show 1980.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

If you go to GunBroker auction and search for Trooper 22's (mark III, I believe). You will see one that has the same red-orange insert front sight on it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

There's lots of guns with the White outline rear sights and Orange insert front, but I'm not sure how the Trooper ties into the Diamondback ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts

I'll confuse things even further.

My copy of the Colt factory records shows
S71*** as made in 1981.

The factory records show the "S" series for that year starting at S62978, and the "S" series ending at S88000 later that year, then starting the "P" series.

Here's the progression for the "S" series guns:
1979 "S" series begins at S01001.
1980 S27029 to S62977.
1981 S62978 to series end at S88000.

In my factory reference material, there IS a picture of two 6" Diamondback model front sight blades.
One DOES have a red-orange insert.
However, there is no separate factory number listed for the insert-equipped sight blade.

My opinion: Considering the age of the gun, it's a factory set-up.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 03-21-2005).]

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Sorry, I was trying to be helpful. But that Trooper Mark III is of the same production period as your DB, hence it might give some creedance to it being installed by the factory. Enjoy your guns.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks 22-rimfire. I wasn't trying to be a smart A$$, I was just trying to understand the tie-in with the Diamondbacks.

Thanks Dfariswheel for the info.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
32 Posts

I recently acquired a 4 inch .22, ser. R222XX. I do not know it's history but it has a reddish orange front sight insert and white outline rear blade. If it is not factory it was very well done.

Can anyone tell me the date of manufacture? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

mxl: It would appear that your gun dates about 1978. According to Wilson, the R prefix starts at R13901 in 1978. No R prefix guns listed for 1979. Hence, 1978. That would suggest that more than 8,000 R prefixed DBs were manufactured that year.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Just to add one more detail here, I have a 6 inch Diamondback in electroless nickle with one of those really faded red orange inserts in the front sight. I can't guarantee that it is factory but there is no mention on the box of any special sight which makes me think that maybe it is factory. JC

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

JC: Greetings. I am somewhat interested in the Electroluss Nickel 6" DB in terms of history. What is the serial number prefix? Caliber? Did you buy it new? What year approximately did you buy it? I would love to see a photo if you have that capability. What kind of a box did it come in? Curious about the details mostly since they are unusual.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

JC: I appreciate your summary of the 6" 22 DB with Electroluss nickel finish. As you know, the serial number dates it to 1981. The box is typical for that year. The other number you gave is the Colt Model number and finish. They track them by their model numbers. The other interesting part is that you purchased this in the mid-90's (used), which is after the batch of parts DBs were assembled, but packaged in the blue plastic box. Hence, it would appear that it was refinished by the Custom Shop as you said... probably not long after it was manufactured. I have seen Colt Aces that were refinished by the Custom Shop on guns dating about 1981.

Thank you for the information. I will log that into my Diamondback info file.

·
Registered
49 Posts

OK 22-rimfire
Glad to provide a little information. The gun is currently locked away but based on my notebook, I can answer a few questions. It is a 6 inch .22. Serial number is S 719xx. It is in the original factory box which is the wood grain cardboard typical of that time period. The pertinent information is on the end flap and shows a BLUE .22 Diamondback but taped over that is a Colt Custom Shop tag (a light color, maybe green, I don't recall) which shows the same information but that it has the brushed or electroless nickel. In looking in my notebook there is an additional number. Without looking at the box I can't tell you exactly what it is but I believe it to be the Custom Shop work order number which is D51xx-LNK. The suffix seems to lend support to the idea that the gun was re-finished before it left the factory. I did not note any other factory markings indicating a re-finish but at the time I made the notes, I was ignorant of much of the trivia pointing out such. I seem to remember a posting, probably on this forum, to the effect that a number of guns were re-finished in bright nickle by the factory near the end of the run but I don't recall any comments on the brushed finish. It was purchased used during the mid '90s, and if my notes are correct, it is sort of finicky about the ammo it uses. It has the previously mentioned reddish orange front site insert and I do not recall details about the rear sight. Just as an aside that will chill the bones of some, it was the favorite pistol of my son the field biologist, before I took it back and locked it away. I would rate it at about 98% even for all its adventures. If you are interested in pictures I will have to find a camera and get instructions on posting. Hope this helps. JC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts