Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone seen one of these? It's an NIB gun, factory engraved with gold inlays.Want to speculate as to it's worth?
Good shooting--
rfo1

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Good engraving, particularly FACTORY engraving usually bumps the value up to around the $2000 to $3000 dollar range.

Inlay work, especially high-grade like that, REALLY runs the price up.

I wouldn't even guess.

For those who don't know, inlay work is done by cutting a shallow hole or groove in the steel.
The edges of the hole or groove are undercut, then soft gold is pounded into the area with a hammer.
The gold fills the hole and expands into the undercuts, locking it in place.

Then the engraver uses his engraving tools to trim and shape the gold, and finally to engrave it.

This is difficult, time consuming work, and only real Master engraves can do it well.

Needless to say, these people don't work for minimum wage.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That is prettier than Jesica Simpson... But seeing you are from Canada should I say Shanina Twain...

Cherry's has a similar one listed "Colt Python Saskatchewan Canadian Province Edition, Gold Inlaid and Engraved By The Late Master Howard Dove, With Oversized Ivory Grips and Presentation Case" for $3,500.00... Yours however, is much nicer...

http://www.cherrys.com/handguns.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I saw a 4" Python with almost this exact same pattern in Shooting Times last year. It was listed as being factory engraved, and even gave the Colt master engraver's name but I can't think of it at the moment. I do know that they said the engraver was no longer alive.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the kind words.I was told by the original owner that this Python was factory engraved and the gold inlays were added there as well.The gun was to be shipped wearing ivory stocks but due to Canadian import regulations banning ivory, wooden stocks were substituted.
Regards--
Rick rfo1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts