Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found an orphaned 52 year old 4" Python at my LGS this morning with rubber shoes and dirty ragged clothes. It was wearing worn Hogue Mono-grips, 60-70% finish and was from 1965. The bluing I'm sure is original although the hammer and trigger looked to have been hard chromed. Also, the frame screws were all buggered. The action was very smooth with tight lockup, no push off. The shop owner put it aside for me until I can figure out what it would cost to find the 3 screws and a pair of Gen II grips that match the finish. I should probably walk away, but we don't see many Pythons in this condition too often here in CA and it would more than likely be in the 1K + price range OTD. I've posted a WTB for the Gen II grips here on the forum so I can hopefully get an idea of what I'll have into if I do pull the proverbial trigger. Can you also let me know of a good place to look for a set of used (un-buggered) screws and what to expect to pay for them?
Thank you for any help.

Bought it today after looking under the grips and wiping it down with an oily rag. See post 8 for pix.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Well I hope you get it for a price you like. I can't wait to see photos of it when you do. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
My birth year 1965..... why look for the gripS ad etc, buy it shoot the Hell out of it. Thats what i would do if the price was right but i am east coast NC.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Go back down there and grab that badboy.
You can fool around with grips and screws anytime.
You might never see a cheap beat up Python again for a very long time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link Razer, screws are a lot less than I thought. Also, got a lead on some grips that are a little nicer than the Python but will surely work. As I mentioned it is being held for me and I'll go back Monday and look under the rubber grips just to be sure. Thanks for the nudge from all of you, maybe it'll turn out to be a decent find after all.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
That thing is just fine the way it is. Every ding & blemish lends credibility to a fine revolver that has seen more life and probably more action than a lot, if not most Pythons.
Get some wood that you like, but meanwhile, why not run the smooth rosewood?
The screws are just as much the life of the gun as any of the rest of it.
There are many folks here who would jump all over that thing.
I love it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks oberon, I like the rosewood (actually cocobolo, a form of rosewood) stocks too. I'd like to try the service stocks on it as well.
Of course being in CA it'll be a LONG 10 days before I can.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I know we all tend to grade guns subjectively, but as far as % of original finish left, I think that looks well more than 60-70% to me. Nice gun. You did good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know we all tend to grade guns subjectively, but as far as % of original finish left, I think that looks well more than 60-70% to me.
I think you're right Zenas. When I first saw it had a lot more grime on it. Although it is still pretty dirty, an oily rag was enough to make it a little more presentable.
The back strap wear, the non-original finish on the hammer and trigger along with the non-original grips mostly contributed to my low overall rating.
Thanks for the kind words

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's good your looking under the stocks because rubber tends to accumulate moister and start to rust, hopefully there isn't any but it's good to make sure.
Just curious....was there any rust under the hogue stocks?

BTW...I think you got a great shooter and one I would have gone for also.

Don

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
pdbertb snip/Of course being in CA it'll be a LONG 10 days before I can./snip

Well, at least you got one.
The ones already there are the only ones you guys will ever get.
I s'pose you could get someone to rig one single action and get it over the barricade......

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently acquired a Trooper MK III from the estate of a local university police officer, and it had similar "shiny" trigger and hammer -- I was told anecdotally that this was not an uncommon LEO modification, for durability purposes. What convinced me to buy it was when I dry-fired it (single action, holding the hammer) and discovered that the trigger had been worked. I have two other Troopers of a similar vintage and the difference was very noticeable. The original Troopers are great, but this trigger rivals anything I have ever seen (felt) on a handgun. Maybe your Python will also be a pleasant surprise - Enjoy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ones already there are the only ones you guys will ever get.
I s'pose you could get someone to rig one single action and get it over the barricade......
You're partially correct oberon, although this one, being over 50 year old, would be eligible to be brought in as C&R without having the conversion to S/A.
I think that CA collectors should be given medals for their perseverance of the hobby with all the extra traveling they have to do for Private Party Transfers. It's kinda crazy what you get used to
:bang_wall:;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts