Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $6000.00 that Id like to invest in an SAA. What would you look for in that price range that would be a good investment? I'd really like some ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
An Artillery model with decent condition and a great Kopec letter.

A Cavalry model with minor problems and a Kopec letter that reflects that, some to no condition depending on the serial number range.

Colt nickel Civilian model guns with an acid etched barrel in good to near excellent condition have brought $5 to a bit over $6k recently.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Are you only looking for first generation? $6000 is about what you could expect to pay for a master engraved 3rd gen with hand carved ivory grips. Or so I've been told

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
I wouldn't use the word, "invest".

For $6K you can get a really nice, original, 1st Gen or have a (2 or 3rd Gen) Colt SSA, master engraved today, adding ivory or pearl for the same kind of money. My suggestion is pick the gun you really want. If you can't pick just one SAA as your one "must have" for $6K, I wouldn't. If you want to buy a gun as an investment...sadly one needs to realize, the guy who owns it now is likely the one that will be making any real profit from his original investment. And only then if he's waited a decade (more likely 2 or 3 decades) to sell the gun to you.

There are so many fake 1st Gen Military guns I wouldn't go there. Artillery guns are even worse IMO as the forum continues to show us over and over again. That pond is very deep with the big $ sharks all know each other these days via the Internet if not in person. They swap the same guns back and forth like your buddies share a beer with you. Even with money to burn a new fish in that pond is more likely to get burnt, than find a bargain let alone a truly clean gun. Kopec letters make that point well enough.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I know different folks have differing opinions on this, but I would only be willing to buy a really nice artillery if the seller was willing to sell it on the condition it was authenticated by a Kopec letter. There are just too many made-up revolvers out there. JMO

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
For me, if I had $6K to spend on an SAA, I'd want the highest condition gun that I could find, regardless of year. There have been some LNIB later 1st gens (post WWI) out there that would probably sell in that range.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys. I should have specified 1st gen only. The idea of a nice etched panel or artillery sounds good to me. The artilleries do make me nervous though. Investment may not be the right word as I’m not looking for them to make money .

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thank you guys. I should have specified 1st gen only. The idea of a nice etched panel or artillery sounds good to me. The artilleries do make me nervous though. Investment may not be the right word as I’m not looking for them to make money .
Nice Call! For that money, I would be looking at a very nice all original artillery with a Kopec letter - without a JK letter, forget it. And forget the investment, as that is very unlikely.
Sounds like you have it pretty well zeroed in - nice shopping, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone have any experience or opinions of Ancestry Guns ?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
IMHO...

I think that a Kopec documented Artillery Model or an acid etched nickel finish revolver with wood or gutta perch grips would be your best options, as I stated in a previous post.

BUT...

My general experience is that when I have money to spend and then search for a firearm, you tend to come up with only average value for the money, in most cases.

Much better to find a good deal, and then figure out how to pay for it, as is often the case with me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts