Colt Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think of gun purchases as expenditures, not investments.

If you are buying guns as an "investment," to make money, doesn't that make you are gun dealer according the ATFE, only without the mandatory FFL for gun selling businesses?
As is the case with so many things it is about interpretation and intent. I don't believe the BATF cares is we as firearm owners buy for the purpose of investment. They do care if we buy with the intent of making a profit. The interpretation of these two things are different IMO. For example, I find a 1911 for $2000 and I know a guy who will pay $4000 for the same gun. If this is my reason for buying, specifically selling to the 2nd party you better have an FFL 01. Let's take this one step further. If I buy the same gun for my collection and in two years I am done with it and want to reinvest of just get rid of the pistol because I am am tired of it - this is I believe well within ATF guidelines. The way it was explained to me by the powers that be, in order to avoid problems buy your firearm and keep it for two years before selling as a C/R holder. I believe the same applies to all gun owners.

·
Registered
933 Posts
ACTUALLY, the ATF doesn't care if you legally buy and sell guns all day - unless it is every day - just don't go overboard or you might get a visit! They are looking at intent and if you aren't buying and selling guns as a business, i.e., trying to make a living, they really don't care. If you are, get an FFL. They make the business verses collecting entity pretty clear when distinguishing between a FFL 01 (dealer) and a FFL 03 (C&R) - check their website.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my, I believe that is the nicest Artillery I have ever seen (the one referenced earlier), assuming it is legit. Would need a letter for sure. Think I'll sell some Shilohs..... :)

Just now saw the other thread about that gun...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts